Motor setup

So I'm pulling the motor outta the shee today and in trying to decide which route to go. It is basically bone stock other than a .20 over bore. I want to mainly dune/trail ride but also if there is a drag event I want to be able to stand a chance. Opinions are appreciated.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm pulling the motor outta the shee today and in trying to decide which route to go. It is basically bone stock other than a .20 over bore. I want to mainly dune/trail ride but also if there is a drag event I want to be able to stand a chance. Opinions are appreciated.

Like ^^^ said depends on budget... You could build a 421 serval and rape everybody in drags and be a beast in trails as long as your swingarm wasnt too long, Or you could go with a 4 mil which would be sick too

Like ^^^ said depends on budget... You could build a 421 serval and rape everybody in drags and be a beast in trails as long as your swingarm wasnt too long, Or you could go with a 4 mil which would be sick too

421 serval won't rape "everybody" in the drags, but it will put a hurting on the 4-strokes as long as your chassis is set up right. I went from a stock shee to a 421 serval with stock chassis and it ran ok and was a blast. then went to 421 serval with a lighter frame, +2+1 arm, +4 swinger, lsr axle and elka shocks all the way around and let me tell you, it was life changing. I hook soooo much harder now so much more stability I destroy my friends craptors and yfzs and I can fly through the trails so much easier and faster than before. I am very happy with what I have right now

Have kevin at HJR port your stock cylinders, do a cool head with domes, 4mil crank, carbs and intakes. Great running setup and cheaper than the aftermarket setups. Kevin does awesome work. Give him a call. He will go over your options with you and keep your budget under control. His phone number is in my signature.

Jared

I like my stock cylinder 4 mil. It handles any4 stroke around here just fine. Hjr ported my motor. I'd call up one of the many sponsors, see who you click with then send them your motor or cylinders. No one will make your bike run worse. But from upping the power just a little bit to making your bike damn near fly they'll all point you in the right direction.

What will i be looking at price wise and part wise?

Lets see cylinder porting 300, 4 mil hotrods crank is 650 on hotrods website but i think you can get them cheaper through bhq site sponsors, new wiseco pistons like 300, then all the gaskets and shit like that so like prob 1200-1350

Edited by dunesovertrails

Lets see cylinder porting 300, 4 mil hotrods crank is 650 on hotrods website but i think you can get them cheaper through bhq site sponsors, new wiseco pistons like 300, then all the gaskets and shit like that so like prob 1200-1350

^^^^^ a little high on those prices,,,, if you call a sponsor and get it all at once. Most will cut you a deal if you get it all at one time.

My Recommendation is to call Cam @ Redline Racing. Browse the Dyno Section on here an look at what he can do with a set of stock cyls....the results speak for themselves. Plus his customer service is great. Turnaround time is great

,,,,,,his website is straight out of 1999! Thats why is recommend calling. haha

Also have to agree with the majority.

Go with A 4 mil build and do it right the first time. I am fairly certain you can get your cylinders ported , a set of 795 series wiseco pistons and domes to match from any site sponsor here.

Then find a gently used 4 mil crank from members here. You should be around $ 1,000 dollars. You can also recoup a few dollars by selling your stock crank & pistons. The hardest part will be choosing which sponsor to deal with. They're all excellent builders. My personal favorite is Brandon & Shay from Wildcard

Good luck

Troy

if your just gona rebuild it at least have the stock crank trued&welded and the cylinders ported. i would personaly build a stock cylinder 4 mill with the budget you mentioned. if you have a reputable builder port the cylinders you can always sell them on here if/when you decide to upgrade. as was already mentioned youll already have a 4 mill crank in the bike if/when you decide to go to a cub.