Chew up wudruff key

andres1

A janked up key is either from the flywheel slipping or carelessness installing the flywheel.

Whn the flywheel taper matches the cank taper right and it's torqued correctly, technically you don't even need a key.

Get some valve lapping compound from the auto parts store, dab it inside the flywheel taper and work you hand back in forth and around while pushing the flywheel on.

Pull it off and wipe it with a rag, repeat, repeat, repeat.

You will know when it's enough by the whole inside of the taper as well as the crank taper being the same dull sheen.

Brandon gave me tip for monster HP motors that doesn't apply to me but since were here, heat up the flywheel taper with a torch then install.

Obviously not glowing hot but around say 200-250 degrees. Once installed and cooled down they will be married.

I didn't do the torch part. I'm paranoid about gettin the flywheel back off which I had bad luck with before.

P5290002.jpg

cheap moon keys will bend and shift on you as well use good ones or oem, are you sure its not a advanced key? "offset for timing changes?

as mentioned, the key is there for allignment purposes only. it fits snug so it won't flop around and wear the groove, but other than that, it might as well be made of plastic. seating is key. a loose flywheel, and deto can go hand in hand. one can cause the other. i've done the heat-seat trick on a camping trip, after i had installed it at home, in the rain, but otherwise don't wish to. i always keep both tapers scuffed with scotch-brite to knock down any imperfections, and install using a hand-impact driver. blue loctite is a must. that one time, i rushed to get her back together when it started raining, i paid for. like 4hours in front of the camp-fire to repair the carbnage, but i made it the rest of the week-end.

one trick to getting them off when stuck, is to drill along the taper (without nicking the shaft) to releive the seating pressure. it really works. and then, heat. always make sure the puller is absolutely seated before putting pressure on the bolt.