tearing down to powder coat

1SIKSHEE

Im going to start tearing down my 06 SE to powder coat the frame and other peices. Are there any things i should be aware about or anything that i need to do or know before or while tearing apart the bike... any tricks or thing i should do to get it done right...all feedback will be appriciated... thanks

Im going to start tearing down my 06 SE to powder coat the frame and other peices. Are there any things i should be aware about or anything that i need to do or know before or while tearing apart the bike... any tricks or thing i should do to get it done right...all feedback will be appriciated... thanks

If you are going to use the factory bolts get some ziplock baggies and label your bolts in packets(fenders, front suspension, rear suspension,etc.). This will save you alot of time during reassembly.

take the time to shave off all the bullshit your not going to use. decided FOR SURE what color powder you want and dont be afraid to look at specialty colors.. a black/chrome, clear silver flake to me would be bad ass on those yellow plastics OR even a yellow/ clear flake. or solid black with yellow flake... the flakes in powder can be really suttle and look excellent. not sure if there is a translucent yellow or candy yellow but chrome/ candy yellow would be bad ass too.. those would be 2 stage powder's

one of my pet peeve's is seeing nice fresh powdercoat with big brackets and tabs and such all hangin out with nothing on it. it dosent take that much time and to me shows you care about it more...

take the time to shave off all the bullshit your not going to use.

one of my pet peeve's is seeing nice fresh powdercoat with big brackets and tabs and such all hangin out with nothing on it. it dosent take that much time and to me shows you care about it more...

YES! :cheers:

take the time to shave off all the bullshit your not going to use. decided FOR SURE what color powder you want and dont be afraid to look at specialty colors.. a black/chrome, clear silver flake to me would be bad ass on those yellow plastics OR even a yellow/ clear flake. or solid black with yellow flake... the flakes in powder can be really suttle and look excellent. not sure if there is a translucent yellow or candy yellow but chrome/ candy yellow would be bad ass too.. those would be 2 stage powder's

The man is correct and a great idea on the powder coat don't try and go cheep to save $$$ cause u will be in the same spot in a year spend the money do it right, like he said take time to remove all the b s if u have shaved fenders and don't need the supports for them or if u wanna run a post mount light u can get rid of factory mounts stuff like that. Good luck post pics.

The man is correct and a great idea on the powder coat don't try and go cheep to save $$$ cause u will be in the same spot in a year spend the money do it right, like he said take time to remove all the b s if u have shaved fenders and don't need the supports for them or if u wanna run a post mount light u can get rid of factory mounts stuff like that. Good luck post pics.

Thanks for all the advice... I like the color info but I have the black on black SE with the purple flames I'm going to do a kandy purple frame to match the factory stickers... I also still have the front fenders on and uncut ... Kinda like the way or looks that way not to many ppl keep them anymore

Thanks for all the advice... I like the color info but I have the black on black SE with the purple flames I'm going to do a kandy purple frame to match the factory stickers... I also still have the front fenders on and uncut ... Kinda like the way or looks that way not to many ppl keep them anymore

Post pics when your done!! I just told some one to do the exact same thing

• 2 months later...

I have a 2005 SE which came out black with purple/silver graphics also. I considered going with a darkish candy purple frame but decided to keep it simple and clean and went with Wet Gloss Black which also leaves my options open for later fender changes if I want to. I would like to see how it might have turned out, I'm keeping the fenders uncut too. I just dropped it off today and it should be done by the end of the week. And totally agree with cutting off the unnecessary brackets. I also straightened and gusseted the steering stop and chipped off all the factory welding spatter, It looks a lot cleaner now.

i would suggest buying a complete SS bolt and nut kit. with that fresh powder, it would be nice to work with new clean bolts.

I spent over $200 on 316 grade stainless fasteners for the engine and everything that bolts to the frame, mostly button head cap screws. The only things that are staying stock are suspension and engine mount bolts. I looked at Cascades chrome hardware and almost had a heart attack "That's PER bolt???"

When we rebuilt my girls bike we picked up a SS kit of eBay. Not to badly priced and every bolt was covered on the bike, only bolt that didn't come with the kit was the long a-arm bolts and I think a couple shock bolts, if you go that route throw some anti size on the bolts, save you some headache.

Which kit did you go with? AlloyBoltz?