Let the Banshee build begin

Wahoo. Sold my 2006 yfz 450 (stock) and picked up a pretty stock 2000 Banshee. Always go back and forth between 4 stroke and 2 stroke but this time i'm committed to building a trail monster banshee.

Been working on the banshee for the last week since I found it locally and couldn't pass it up. Sold the yfz tonight. Lot's of progress so far on the shee but a far ways to go.

Just wanted to share my excitement!

Pic of day I picked it up (A little dirty and badly bent rear grab bar, lol. but great potential)

DSC04221.jpg

DSC04223.jpg

DSC04222.jpg

Here it is today: Doing rear axle and front wheel bearings, swing arm seals/bearings, a-arm bushings, chain rollers, and lots of painting of misc parts while it's tore apart... Ordered new rear grab bar (thanks Nieskes) and rear skid plate. Sending rear shock to Matt next week hopefully. Would like to purchase wheels/tires, shock/a-arms, etc. Planning on running stock motor until upgrade/repair is needed.Thinking about looking around for a powder coated frame for this winter so that I can just transfer everything over as I work on it. Just want it back together and running safe for now so I can enjoy it this summer yet.

IMG_3902.jpg

IMG_3935.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you are working hard on it...why not just strip it down and get your frame powder coated?

I looked around and it seems cheaper or just as expensive to buy an already powdercoated frame.... I guess people lose interest in a build or need cash and let them go for $250-$400 range. By the time I stripped mine, got it blasted, waited for powder coating, etc. just easier to buy something ready to go. Less to remember as well just transferring sections to new frame.

get your self a 4mil serval youll love it

Can you elaborate? I've not done any engine or performance modifications to my previous banshee/ 2 stroke machines. My quad is stock now and I'm looking to build something reliable and comfortable for trail riding. Don't need to be the fastest...

if you can get about 3grand to spend on your banshee right now it will be cheaper for you in the long run. I have a serval and its the shit for trail riding so you could look into that. Lots of site sponsors sell them in "kits" they come with everything you need to build it.

Thanks for the heads up. 3k is wayyyy out of my price range for now. Would be hard for me to justify spending that when there are literally hundreds of nicely already built banshees floating around online for $3500-$4000

I only have $1500 total into my banshee as of now.

UPDATE: Been busy. Pulling the quad apart and cleaning/painting things as I go along. I know it won't last long but I don't have the time or funds to powder coat so I'll give it a shot. Here's the quad as it sits today...

securedownload-9.jpg

Stock heal guards before:

securedownload-5.jpg

Stock heal guards after (hanging on levers lol) Used some rubberized spray can stuff. Testing to see how it holds up:

securedownload-10.jpg

Rear wheels primed and painted flat black:

securedownload-6.jpg

Swinger cleaned, primed, painted:

securedownload-3.jpg

Rear plastcis after removing, cutting off rivots, filling in, cleaning, and taping decals:

IMG_3941.jpg

IMG_3964.jpg

After 2 coats:

IMG_3967.jpg

After 3 coats of krylon fusion satin white & clear coat:

securedownload-2.jpg

Front cleaned & prepped:

securedownload-1-1.jpg

Fronts after 3 coats:

securedownload-7.jpg

Clear coating and removing tape tomorrow. It was 105 degrees today so I was moving slowly. haha

Got a new radiator and stator cover on the way, new matching bar pad, skid plate, and some other goodies..