Let the Banshee build begin

More progress today. Got the 98 all cleaned up and posted for sale. Then got to work on my 2000 build. Pulled the Tie-rods, exhaust, mounting brackets, & Airbox.

Ordered the motion pro knuckle/ball joint removal tool from ebay for my a-arms/spindles but used the nut/hammer trick to get out the tie-rods free from the steering stem. Let some pb blaster soak in for 30 minutes and popped right down in a few whacks.

Pics from today's doing's and wanted to show off my fancy organization of bolts from different areas of the quad. haha.

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a set of cheap pipes, I have a set of the oldest style fmf pipes that they made for a banshee. Not even gold series. They are rough and have seen been days, but are wayyyyy better than stock. They aren't too good on the low end but have decent top end power. You could probably clean them up pretty good and paint them black if you wanted they aren't in to horrible of shape, just not pretty. If you are interested shoot me a pm. I'll give them to you for $10 plus shipping. In a better way of explaining it, pay shipping and pay gas for me to take them in for shipping. Lol :cheers:

If you want a set of cheap pipes, I have a set of the oldest style fmf pipes that they made for a banshee. Not even gold series. They are rough and have seen been days, but are wayyyyy better than stock. They aren't too good on the low end but have decent top end power. You could probably clean them up pretty good and paint them black if you wanted they aren't in to horrible of shape, just not pretty. If you are interested shoot me a pm. I'll give them to you for $10 plus shipping. In a better way of explaining it, pay shipping and pay gas for me to take them in for shipping. Lol :cheers:

I know a guy that might take u up on that if this dude doesn't.

I'm not 100% if they fit an a arm bike. They are really old pipes. But for $10 lol. If he doesn't buy them ill get ahold of you Dave.

Okay the last few days has been real grunt work on this machine. Cleaning misc parts. Biggest task done was removing tors completely, putting die-electric grease on ALL connections, and re-wrapping all major wiring in new electrical tape. Then went to town on stock exhaust for cleaning, prepping, and painting. Well worth the effort. Re-positioned the quad and cleaned the floor and layed new cardboard. I went to town on the frame prepping it for primer and paint (hopefully tomorrow...) Lastly, started covering the few things (front brakes, motor, and some electrical) that i'm going to be leaving on the frame while I paint it. Remember I'm not building a garage queen, show bike, or bike that will win enter any races haha. Gonna give the stock exhaust some seat time before I move onto performance mods. I guess i'm one of the few people who still enjoys the power and ride of a "stock" banshee.

Updated pics as of Saturday, July 14th

Muffler and mid pipe done

IMG_4216.jpg

Exhaust Header done

IMG_4220.jpg

CDI cleaned & new electrical tape

IMG_4215.jpg

Quad moved & garage organized/cleaned

IMG_4222.jpg

Parts pile is still growing!

IMG_4225.jpg

Prepping for primer & paint

IMG_4224.jpg

Still have them fmf pipes boxed up if your interested. Shees looking great though. Good luck with the rest of the build!

• 2 weeks later...

Update as of July 23rd.

Been doing lot's of little misc things. Replacing things here and there, painting things here and there. Today I finally got the frame painted! I also stored the GTO back at my dad's house and got the garage re-arranged and ready for full assembly. I also bought some parts for my winter (banshee) build (Wheels/tires & full FMF exhaust).

Frame fully prepped and ready for primer

IMG_4258.jpg

2 Coats of Primer

IMG_4354.jpg

2 Coats of metallic silver. Pretty much the "stock" frame color.

IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

Redid front headlights, shocks, airbox, a-arms, & brake/sprocket rotors

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

IMG_4259.jpg

Rearranged garage and parts

DSC04290.jpg

No more crowded space to work in :)

DSC04291.jpg

Few more days of finishing odds and ends and it's ready for full assembly!

DSC04294.jpg

That banshee is lucky it found such a good home! You've done an excellent job bringing it back to life, looks great. beer.gif

On a side note, how do you like that floor epoxy in your garage? I love the clean look it adds, I'm still renting so I haven't broken down and done it here yet but I'd like to do that as soon as I settle on a place.

That banshee is lucky it found such a good home! You've done an excellent job bringing it back to life, looks great. beer.gif

On a side note, how do you like that floor epoxy in your garage? I love the clean look it adds, I'm still renting so I haven't broken down and done it here yet but I'd like to do that as soon as I settle on a place.

Thanks man, appreciate it. This has been a great experience so far. This is my 7th banshee and I've never worked on one of them like this one.

The floor is new this year. Did the kit from Sherwin Williams (Shield Crete) with the top clear coat finish. I prepped the crap out of the floor. It was pretty bad before. I also did the trim and walls while I had the garage clear. It's amazing how much of a difference the floor and fresh paint makes. I get tons of compliments. You really have to prep the floor. I did a floor cleaner/etcher/degreaser like 4 or 5 times with scrubbing after soaking, I then powerwashed the floors to rinse the cleaner away. It was a good 2 week project with all the stuff I had to move in and out. It helped that I had a enclosed trailer and basement to put all the stuff in. In total it cost me about $400 in supplies but I had a nice $300 2700 psi pressure washer already.. I did get a professional quote to get the floor done and it was right around $2k. Said no thanks :cheers:

Here's before and after...

IMG_2940.jpg

DSC04175.jpg