Is my clutch shot?

The other day a buddy of mine wanted to go riding so I pulled out the Banshee and put fresh gas in it, fresh Bel-Ray, made sure the filters were clean, etc. The bike had not been moved in about 3-4 months. I do however go out and crank it up at least a couple of times a weak. Ok well while we were riding and we hit the first straight-away I had a hard time getting it to go into 4th, (took me about 3-4 tries) but after it went in I didnt have anymore problems. Yesterday I went out and was going to putt around the yard a bit andd after getting it warmed up I pulled in the clutch, went to first, and bam! Choked off. Tried several times and everytime Id go into gear with the clutch in the bike would choke off as if the clutch is doing nothing and it will not start in gear with the clutch pulled in. Can anyone help me out with this?

Edited by Hellacious

LOL your carbs are fine do not mess with them.

How does the clutch feel when you pull it? If it feels normal just does not release then the plates are probably just stuck they will do that some times. Usually if you work the clutch a few times with it running you will get them to free up.

Starts first kick everytime and idles like a champ. Just stalls when put in gear. The clutch feels fine and the cable isnt loose or anything. I'm lost guys. I've never replaced the clutch or adjusted one so I don't know where to start. I'm gonna try starting it and pulling the clutch in and out like you said before trying to put it in gear. Hopefully that'll get it.

Edited by Hellacious

Start by screwing the adjustment on the clutch perch out. This will make a longer throw for the clutch cable and lever to disengage the clutch. As far as free play, just set it to where when the clutch is engaged you can move the lever slightly without pulling on the cable.

If you run out of adjustment on the clutch perch, you'll have to take the cover off and adjust the pressure plate adjustment.

• 2 weeks later...