DRAG NOOB NEEDS HELP!

mgowan

Ok guys I am sorry if any of you are tired of noobs asking basic questions about building a banshee for drag, but here it goes with a little info of who I am, my experience with 2 strokes, and what im tring to achive.

I am located in South GA, I'm looking to build a 1/8 mile drag only banshee to compete with my buddys, I have a full machine shop at my disposal (Thanks pops!), my experience with 2 strokes are pretty well limited to MX and karting. I have no idea what a stock banshee will do in the 1/8th looking to run into the high 6's what hp will I have to put down to make this happen please feel free to put your .2 cents but only asking for educated answers not looking for ppl to just bash the idea or say its stupid.

I guess my question is this able to be done with a small cc, stock stoke engine I have a couple of sets of road race rz350 cyl. that I plan on using after having ported and if you have one or know what it takes to make one could you shed some light on what it took to get it there.

Dont want to just buy an engine pre-built, I would like this project to be built no bought!

I will be posting a build thread from start to finish.

Thanks to anyone with insight that helps this build happen.

Well I´m a noob also, and I am doing the same as you are, but my Banshee is not "all out" for Drag Race.

I have stock frame, with +2+1 A-arms and +6 swingarm because I do everykind of riding with my bike.

I have K&N air filters, 35 PWK´s (gas), Boyesen reeds, home made porting in my stock cylinders. Noss (M&M ATV) cool head with 20cc domes. T5´s and A&S Drag OOF pipes.

Trued and welded stock crank, better clutch with HD springs and Billet basket (M&M ATV aka NoLimitsPowersports/ Andy).

That´s for the motor and I think it´s in 58-68hp range, (T5 -A&S) , just a guess.

I am hoping to do low 7 in a 1/8, but I´ll see about that in a week.

Here is my Banshee. I´m doing some adjustments for asphalt and it is not ready yet. Going to build front struts and a wheeliebar.

Rear tires are Golspeed Yellow labels, and they are 17.5" measured. Gearing is 18-42. I am thinking of getting AR 20x8x10 sd 23 and I can do 18-40 if needed.

My front tires are 100/80-10 Scooter tires on 4x10 Douglas Blue labels.

WP_000275.jpg

Hope this will help, but I know that some pro´s will chime in soon....

Just my .02 cents

If you want to go with a small cc engine then I would suggest a lightened frame or lightweight drag frame, struts, wheelie bar or longer swingarm (depends on if bike comes up at line). Also drag ported cylinders, straight cut gears (2.68), lock up clutch, bigger carbs (alky),and advanced timing. AR's 20x8x10 for tires is a great choice. This setup might see the numbers you are wanting but i am not sure if a stock stroke, stock cylinder will get there. Im sure someone will chime in with actual numbers and more experienced knowledge.

I have one in the shop as we speak but I have a bigger crank with stock cylinders. i was told that my compression is good for the 1/8th mile (160-165psi). I was set up at +4 advanced timing, but was told to go to +7 timing and 110 racing gas. I put aluminum struts all around, +6 swingarm (might have to get that wheelie bar), douglas wheels, scooter tires up front, AR's 18x10x10 (replacing with 20x8x10). also getting override which you may want to consider to get all you can out of a ported stock stroke engine.

This is just from what I have been reading and from asking around. Have not taken my bike to strip yet. as soon as i get it back I will go to test and tune.

After going to the drag strip last night a couple of guys brought some shee's and I was talking to them a little and asked for one of the guys for his # they all had 4 or 10 mill kits on alky didnt get into any hard specs but damn they were fast the slowest one ran a 5.95 in the 1/8th and the fastest on ran a 4. 79 in the 1/8th on nitrous, temp was around mid 80's and about 300ft above sea level, didnt get a humity % reading but it was a fair night for racing everything we had was flying but with watching them I think mid to low 6's isn't to far fetched I've got my porting calculator numbers ready to be set up on the porting CNC mill if anyone knows about porting please chime in and I will go over my port map with you and see what your take is.

After going to the drag strip last night a couple of guys brought some shee's and I was talking to them a little and asked for one of the guys for his # they all had 4 or 10 mill kits on alky didnt get into any hard specs but damn they were fast the slowest one ran a 5.95 in the 1/8th and the fastest on ran a 4. 79 in the 1/8th on nitrous, temp was around mid 80's and about 300ft above sea level, didnt get a humity % reading but it was a fair night for racing everything we had was flying but with watching them I think mid to low 6's isn't to far fetched I've got my porting calculator numbers ready to be set up on the porting CNC mill if anyone knows about porting please chime in and I will go over my port map with you and see what your take is.

Building from bone stock, prepare to spend $$$. Cheaper if you buy a used drag bike. But it feels better when it's you that built it. Any sponsor here can help you with all your needs.