T5's vs shearers

possum

You will keep more midrange with cpi over shearer

Depends on the build.

My motor made the same low end power with Shearers as it did with CPI's (My dyno overlays matched perfectly!)....but made 14 more HP and revved another 1000 RPM with the Shearers.

So the belief that CPI's have more low end torque isn't always the case. :shrugani:

He says he has a dune port and I see nothing but sand in his signature pics......So I'm going to say pipe it like it's a dune bike. What you pick for a dune pipe is your personal choice.....but for a bike with a dune port and all sand riding.....I'm going to say Shearers FTW. :headbang:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got any friends with CPI pipes you could borrow for a day and try out? If you have friends with either pipe borrow them and give each one a try... I have CPI, small bore shearer, and big-bore shearer that I swap around from time to time. I like each pipe for different stuff.

- Jared

Depends on the build.

My motor made the same low end power with Shearers as it did with CPI's (My dyno overlays matched perfectly!)....but made 14 more HP and revved another 1000 RPM with the Shearers.

So the belief that CPI's have more low end torque isn't always the case. :shrugani:

I love CPI inframes too. For dragging theres no replacement for shearers but for a dune bike or heavier rider the CPIs get close and they are more forgiving on shifts.

See above quote -

That was for my dune bike.....I'm 200+ and was running a non-override tranny. I understand that you believe what your saying. I've also always admitted that different motors will like different pipes.

But the statement the CPI's will work better for a heavier rider...or are more "forgiving" on shifts?..... :shrugani: That's just assigning a Character trait to a pipe that might not always be the case.

I know it's a strong opinion, but it wasn't true based on the dyno and ride testing I did.

I bought CPI's believing the same theory you just stated.

Then had to buy another set of pipes when I found out it wasn't true.

Your motor will know what pipe it likes best, and your builder should be able to advise you on what pipe will best meet your motors needs.

I'm not saying that CPI's aren't good or that Shearers will always beat CPI's......but I am saying that the view that CPI's will work better for a heavier rider or be more forgiving on shifts is misleading, as testing has shown otherwise in many instances.

See above quote -

That was for my dune bike.....I'm 200+ and was running a non-override tranny. I understand that you believe what your saying. I've also always admitted that different motors will like different pipes.

But the statement the CPI's will work better for a heavier rider...or are more "forgiving" on shifts?..... :shrugani: That's just assigning a Character trait to a pipe that might not always be the case.

I know it's a strong opinion, but it wasn't true based on the dyno and ride testing I did.

I bought CPI's believing the same theory you just stated.

Then had to buy another set of pipes when I found out it wasn't true.

Your motor will know what pipe it likes best, and your builder should be able to advise you on what pipe will best meet your motors needs.

I'm not saying that CPI's aren't good or that Shearers will always beat CPI's......but I am saying that the view that CPI's will work better for a heavier rider or be more forgiving on shifts is misleading, as testing has shown otherwise in many instances.

I agree with your statements, just because a certain pipe works good on one setup doesnt mean its going to work the same on the next, there are way too many variables within an engine to say that a certain pipe is going to work better. My motor was built around the LRD pipes that I run, I'm tempted to try a different set of pipes but I'm not sure if my motor will like CPIS or Shearers or Snipers better than my current LRD's.

you will gain either way with the cpi's or shearers from the t-5's.

i would go cpi's not because they have "more midrange and bottom end"

what i liked about them on my play bike is they come on sooner and were a bit easier to get back on the pipe if i let off the go button.

and they flat out had more all over than the t-5's i had.