How To Free Stuck Clutch Plates That Wont Disengage?

My banshee has been sitting for a while and so it appears that the clutch plates are sticking. With the ignition off, I place it in gear, pull in the clutch and when I roll it it stops just as if the clutch want pulled in at all. The clutch cable is new, clutch is new, and the cable adjustment is correct. So I gather that the clutch plates are sticking being that the quad has been down for a few years now. I read elsewhere of folks resolving the issue by starting the engine, giving it some throttle, and then slamming it into gear to free the plates. I would prefer to a different path that is easier on the tranny, if possible. Is there a way to take the clutch cover off and free the plates from sticking? Any other methods anyone try that worked? Thanks.

I've had that happen before on a dirtbike I bought. I pulled the clutch cover and pressure plate, then pulled each steel and fiber out seperately and wiped them off with a clean shop towel. Then put a Lil tranny fluid on each one before reinstalling and it worked great. If they are really stuck it may be a bitch to get them out but pry them out in order and you will be fine.

• Like 1

I just get somebody to push me a mph or so and click it in 1st gear. By the time you get on and off the gas a time or two in a gear or two it will free up. Sometimes they just stick. No biggie. It wont hurt to shift it a few times with no clutch.

Man...... Not having a good start with the banshee are you?

Yea, aint that the truth. This Banshee restoration that started from the frame up was going pretty well for the most part until the last week or so. Between working on this quad, working 60 hours a week, and getting no sleep, it may be time to take a break from it. Or possibly just buy a brand new quad...

Edited by bansh_88

Very rarely does, his superior attitude owns us all. Someday we will all know as much as he does and we won't ask questions

Yea, maybe we will all be so lucky and reach zach45's level of supreme majesty one day :rolleyes: LOL.

No use getting worked up over TROLLS. He is just a TROLL doing his part to make the forums look bad.

Edited by bansh_88

Im having the same problem,,its worse when its cold. When i put it in gear it slams and lunges forward. It loosens up as soon as its rolling and works ok till it sits and gets cold again. Please let me know when you get it fixed and ill try to keep you posted as well. Im planning to pull my clutch tomorrow and get it straightened out.

What are you running for oil? Did you adjust you clutch adjustment screw correctly? It shouldn't slam into gear something is not adjusted right. Dump the ATF, run Castro 10-40 T oil. It doesn't break down like ATF. I'm not a fan of ATF.

Adam