New banshee owner

Hello to all on the board and thank you in advance for the information that is shared. My name is Trevor. I just bought my first banshee. I have been wanting one for a long time since I was 15 on my 350X Honda 3 wheeler and a banshee would walk right past me. Well I never thought that I would be almost 40 before I acquired one. I have an 02 blaster that I have spent over 4k on it building it up and making it a nice trail machine. I went riding with a raptor 660 up north and I couldn't hang with it. So I thought about going big bore on my blaster. After some input from the blaster forum and seeing how much more $ it was going to take and one member said just buy a banshee. I thought what the hell. I might as well take a look to see whats out there. I have looked numerous times for a banshee but I haven't seen anything running for under $1800. I found a running 92 for $900 yesterday. It does have issues. The a arms are worn out. The sprockets and chain is worn out. The headlights are missing. It idles really high. There is oil residue in the air box. There are a number of random bolts on it. The rear shock is leaking. Those are just the things I spotted in 10 minutes with the machine. I plan on fixing it up to safe trail ride able status and making it look nice again. If you have any input it is appreciated.

Just start from the ground up. Tear it down to the frame and start fresh. You will be glad you did. Take your time and do it right the first time, the cheap comes out expensive every time!! Good luck, and welcome.. :cheers:

If it idles really high be cautious while letting it run it could possible be an air leak if something dried out and ruin the pistons. From the sounds of it you're going to want to ride it asap just trying to keep you from spending alot of $ from stupid mistakes. Also the chain and sprockets your going to want to get done before you ride because you can break or have the chain come off throwing you another few hundred unexpected bucks. Trust me when you get them running correctly there sick bikes.

I'm going to start slowly on this one. I'm not up for a frame off restoration off the bat. I'm going to fix the known problems and ride it till it breaks. When and if it blows I'll rebuild it up with mods like pistons, porting, carbs and exhaust. I do have some questions though. Where do I find the exhaust rubber connectors between the muffs and the front pipe? Both on this one are shot. Also the bushings in the upper a arms are bad. Are they serviceable separately or do you have to replace the whole arm?

My first purchase is going to be a tors eliminator kit. In fact I'm going to order one right after this post.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Guys on the blaster board are a great bunch as well. I must be a yamaha thing, lol.

Edited by turbowrenchhead

So I started doing some checking. The first thing that I realized that the upper a arms are have a single tube versus a dual tube style like the lower. I checked the parts fiche and realized that it was pre 1990. I had to clean the frame from someone painting over it and found the vin and ran it on a website. The vin doesn't come up as a good vin but it did say that it is a 1987 model. So I guess I have the first model year. Not thats a bad thing. I just don't like the week looking a arm. Are there any issues with the pre 90 setups? Here is the vin I don't know if the 7th digit is a c or a zero. JY42GU007H0010948.

So I started doing some checking. The first thing that I realized that the upper a arms are have a single tube versus a dual tube style like the lower. I checked the parts fiche and realized that it was pre 1990. I had to clean the frame from someone painting over it and found the vin and ran it on a website. The vin doesn't come up as a good vin but it did say that it is a 1987 model. So I guess I have the first model year. Not thats a bad thing. I just don't like the week looking a arm. Are there any issues with the pre 90 setups? Here is the vin I don't know if the 7th digit is a c or a zero. JY42GU007H0010948.

The only thing is its a J Arm not an A arm. There both great bikes other then that they are all the same.

I said to check the vin when I ran it on that website. http://www.motoverse.com/tools/vin/yamaha.asp

It spit back either way I ran it with the c or the zero as the seventh digit and it still kicked it back with no record. There is also no wis dnr record. Was this thing on private land its whole life? Never registered?

How do I check the engine code to the frame?

congrat on getting a piece of awesome history i bought mine new in 02 and have done a couple ground ups more for its the best way to check every little thing on it as it goes back together.. yes u can get kits for the a arm bushing u dont have to replace the a arm or j arm! id start with figuring out the high idle first before u put a bunch of money in bearings and bushing in case u have air leaks ect get it running good before u worry about the little things!

Its real easy to do the proper hardware. I have a wholesale acct so its just click and email and I have all new oem hardware for it. I have to order the tors eliminator yet. I'm low on funds, did much spending getting ready for the summer fun. I bought a 8x6 pop up camper and a 20' trailer and made me a redneck toy hauler. I have around 2k in it and it works great it has 3 full size beds in it and takes 20 min to set up. No more 3 hour set up with a tent.

Is there an aftermarket j arm available? Only stock ones on ebay. One ball joint is loose so I assume that the whole arm needs to be replaced.

Stellar make a real nice aftermarket set of j-arms. Good luck with the build. As stated above, make it run first. Find that air leak, if there is one.

x2 on the build. like the others said get the engine working good first and make sure you have no air leaks. you can buy a leakdown tester here

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154986

i still have to replace my swingarm bearings haha but the most important thing is the engine! also i highly suggest getting a case saver. TM designs makes the best one on the market. and welcome to the addiction!

Edited by bluebanshee98