trash top end

Rebuilt top end using vitos super stock pistons. Jugs were bored 20 over. Head was shaved 20 thousandths. Put together with all new gaskets that were supplied with the vitos kit. Torqued everything to factory specs. Proper break in period and retorqued after break in. Roughly 5 hours after rebuild had small amount of coolant push from over flow hose. This happened a few times but coolant was checked and it had not dropped all that much. Noticed after cool down quad took 3-4 kicks more than normal to start, normally it starts on the first kick. Quad was running well then lost all power and shut off. Judging by the pictures i feel as if compression leaked into cooling system and boiled coolant. Is this something anyone has heard of? Or does anyone have any insight as to what might have occurred.

Below is bike specs

20 over

Head shaved 20 thousandths

B8ES plugs

Timing 2 degrees

Pickup set at 18 thousandths gap

Trinity 2 into 1

Prodesign foam filter with airbox lid on

Dmc 916 exhaust

Vf3

Pwk35 carb

175 main

48 pilot

DEK needle

Center clip

Klotz supertechniplate

36:1

Air screw 1.5 turns

After roughly 10 hours on rebuild

IMG_20120430_222526.jpg

IMG_20120430_222430.jpg

IMG_20120430_222645.jpg

IMG_20120430_222627.jpg

IMG_20120430_222806.jpg

IMG_20120430_222745.jpg

IMG_20120430_223049.jpg

IMG_20120430_223037.jpg

IMG_20120430_223108.jpg

IMG_20120430_223148.jpg

IMG_20120430_223154.jpg

IMG_20120430_221712.jpg

IMG_20120430_222319.jpg

IMG_20120430_222402.jpg

Link to album

https://picasaweb.google.com/103182486397669436026/BansheeGoBoom?authkey=Gv1sRgCLjRzfCN8cGgAQ

Yikes......that's pretty impressive. I think your onto something there.....especially as seeing how one of your pistons seems to be coolant washed as if it was hot when the coolant went in and cleaned the piston crown. However also looking at your dones in your head it appears that you had some serious detonation going on there. What fuel were you running and what elevation are you at?

Same happened to my super stock pistons after 12 hours. Propped break in and everything. I wasn't impressed with them..

Yikes......that's pretty impressive. I think your onto something there.....especially as seeing how one of your pistons seems to be coolant washed as if it was hot when the coolant went in and cleaned the piston crown. However also looking at your dones in your head it appears that you had some serious detonation going on there. What fuel were you running and what elevation are you at?

that sucks :blink:

i agree ......what oct was you runing? did you leak test?maybe your wp failed?? goodluck

I haven't heard good things about the super stock pistons but i can't seem to find what exactly goes wrong with them.

The water pump works fine, that was what he first thought had happened so thats the first thing he checked

Leak test i dont think he did. I know he did a compression test before he tore everything down.

Octane is 93. I thought i typed that in last night but i guess i didnt

He doesn't need his wife answering for him either haha. Thanks for the replys though!

haha..thanks babe...

waterpump checks out fine

octane is 93

elevation roughly 900

im gonna check trueness on jugs and cyl head tonight....

shop that decked head used a mill to do it...could that have been a no no?

Same happened to my super stock pistons after 12 hours. Propped break in and everything. I wasn't impressed with them..

I haven't heard good things about the super stock pistons but i can't seem to find what exactly goes wrong with them.

The water pump works fine, that was what he first thought had happened so thats the first thing he checked

Leak test i dont think he did. I know he did a compression test before he tore everything down.

Octane is 93. I thought i typed that in last night but i guess i didnt

It's called being too lean. Not the pistons fault. Detonation will destroy every brand and style piston.

When you are making 8 more HP, you have to feed it more fuel.

This is why that style piston has gotten a bad rap. People drop them in like is a basic rebuild, yet don't re-jet. You need to go bigger on both your main and your pilot. Your making a lot more power and have to spend some time doing plug chops and tuning for the new set-up.

You can't shave a head and install pistons that simulate porting and not spend some time starting with the motor jetted fat and working your way down from safe to a solid tune.

I would have at least started with a 50 pilot/180 main/CEL or DEK needle, and I'm not sure what your kicking compression is, but with your mods I would be running 110 race gas or a 50/50 mix with premium. I'd also be running a #9 plug.

Sorry to pile on......but I have LOTS of experience with these pistons on many peoples motors and can routinely get 80 hours out of them. I've run 2 into 1 intakes with them as well as twin 28's and stockers, and I've dyno tuned them all, so I think I'm pretty close on what these do to your overall power and how to jet them accordingly. You WILL make a solid 8 more HP with them alone. :headbang:

you say it ran well but if water is introduced into one of the cylinders you would think it would run alittle strange. im thinking it just leaned out on the one side. look at the difference in the wristpins. the one with blue heat marks appears it got hot. check underneath the pistons also. the scuffed one will probly have black death. means the crown temp got hot enough to cook the oil past its limits. at that point its all over but the crying

The head hadn't changed at all...look like that before I put it on...I would imagine if I had any detonation that it would also be on the pistons...I did change jetting and I did work my way down from a 185...I guess I didn't do my homework on the pistons because if I can only get 80 hours on Vito's and 7 GOOD years on factory then I should should just back off and go back to basics...thank you for all the input...

I wasn't implying that you can only get 80 hours out of a Vito's piston. I was just making a point that they are clearly not a 10 hour piston. (2-3 seasons on a Vito's piston I have done...not 7) But if you want to run the same piston for 7 years.....stay stock and don't worry about making more power. As you get into the 60's and 70's for HP, you'll find stuff naturally wears out faster. I'll re-ring a piston if compression drops by 25PSI. If the piston had no more machining grooves on it...I'll just change it.

It also comes down to what you do with your quad...I like to have power but I also enjoy gas mileage and all around fun..over here in PA we have nothing but hillclimbs and trails so we do a little differant riding than the dunes guys do...so thinking about it I guess everyone's ambitions are a little differant...I did however find my problem as far as I know and it comes down to the milling of cylinder head...pics to follow...thanks for all the input..just keep in mind everyone has a differant riding condition and not everyone can ride from the truck to a dune a quarter mile away and rip hills...we have to ride 10 miles to fetch a hill sometimes...thanks again