Dieing

Here is my story. Went to sand mountain for the day after getting the 4mil running solid. When I first unloaded it got ready, started it up, let it warm up a bit then took off to the hill. First pass was solid. Had great power. Pulled very strong. For about 15 minutes I was messing around with no problems, as I was heading back to the truck the bike just died, like it was out of fuel. Wierd but o well, fired it back up, revved alright and drove the rest of the way to the truck. Well ever since that the bike will only start up and run for about 15-20 seconds an then die, wait 2 minutes fire it back up an so on an so on. I started with carbs, made sure floats wernt sticking, they were ok, cleaned them out. Tried again and did the same thing. The only thing I might be onto is that it is an elevation change of about 2-2200 ft but when I got back home tonight I tried again and the same thing. Can anyone lead me in the right direction, Im running sunoco race fuel, 40:1 mix, new spark plugs, and cleaned air filters.

After this happened I tried to get a quick run in and kill it I did the best I could and came up a little chocolate brown maybe a little wet but I dont think it was nearly enough to make this happen. I can try new plugs but not sure thats the issue. You say vents on the carb? There is no leaks, I sprayed carb clean with the bike ideling and no raise in rpm or anything. So I dont think there is a cracked boot or air getting in anywere.

im going to double tap on that vent in the gas cap. It sounds like its not getting the air. Open your carbs and check your reeds, if you shine a light on the reeds you can see if they are still there through the carbs while its wide open. Also check your pickup gap. Might have something to do with it, set at .020. You can download the manual below if you need to.

How long will it just idle? have you let it idle for a few minutes, and then when you get on it, it dies? TORS all removed? Flywheel, electrical connections on CDI, stator, carbs, reeds, pickup gap, vents, pull pipes look at exhaust side of pistons. Smell the tranny oil, check the coolant level.

Best of luck to you man,

Ok, well I got into it a little more, I got it to idle for more then a minute then it died. I had to help it a little bit. Now that Iam home and paying attention it appears that its only running on the left cylinder banghead Its burning the oil but the right side there is nothing and the oil is just running out the end cap, now im confused, why would it just stop running on the right side, I think thats why its dieing is because its only on that left cylinder. :confused: insight?

Vents I refered to are two hoses off side of carbs on stockers, air has to get in and out as fuel level changes. Ohm your stator, coil and plug caps. Check ALL wireing , connections, and grounds. Might have to use process of elimination. If you have acess to another complete electrical/ignition system, try the pieces one at a time, especially cdi as there is no way to test it. :cheers:

mine did this check your compression, my banshee was running great, then cough, and right side not firing, blew right side rings, pull plugs and check put your finger over the hole or pull exhaust off and look see if rings are gone \etc.

If your going to do a compression test......at least do a correct compression test. It only takes seconds more to screw in the gauge. And even if the rings are completely gone.....just the piston going up and down from being kicked over ll create enough compression to fake a finger into believing it has compression.