Best Rebuild Kit?

bball23

Hey just bought another banshee and it needs a topend rebuild. Ive never rebuilt an engine and its my first time. I found a dealer on ebay that you send your cylinders out and they bore them and ship them back with a new wiseco piston kit. It costs $300 and they said they could lower the price to $250 on Pro X or WSM piston kits. I know this is already a good deal but I would like to spend as little as possible. What do you all think about PROX and the WSM kits and which one of the two is better? Am I better off saving the $50 and going with one of those or just getting the Wiseco kit? Also a guy told me I have to take the whole engine out of the frame to do a new topend... Is this true? All answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

If your trying to cut corners just sell the banshee. And that guy was wrong. The motor doesn't have to be out of the frame. Look at the sponsors. Is your gonna send them out then you might add well port them. You won't be disappointed. But a top end rebuild is around 300. But like I said I'd you're already trying to not spend money, this is not for you. Because it starts with this then who knows what else you try and "save money" on. So spend there extra 50 get the product that is world known and has the highest success rate and almost zero complaints, and every builder recommends.

Hey just bought another banshee and it needs a topend rebuild. Ive never rebuilt an engine and its my first time. I found a dealer on ebay that you send your cylinders out and they bore them and ship them back with a new wiseco piston kit. It costs $300 and they said they could lower the price to $250 on Pro X or WSM piston kits. I know this is already a good deal but I would like to spend as little as possible. What do you all think about PROX and the WSM kits and which one of the two is better? Am I better off saving the $50 and going with one of those or just getting the Wiseco kit? Also a guy told me I have to take the whole engine out of the frame to do a new topend... Is this true? All answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

send your cylinders to a site sponser on here!!! Farm and sand toys or herr jugs racing will help you with just about anything you need. give them a call or send em an email.

i just did my frst top end rebuild this winter and i wouldn't do it without a clymer banshee manual if you are going to split the cases.I just went with pro x pistons, i haven't really went out and rode all day on them yet, but as far as down the road and in the yard they seem alright. I guess its the same company that makes the OEM Yamaha pistons.

good luck!

Edited by SheeManWomenHater

Pro X is a good replacement piston, at least in the 4 stroke world. I am not sure on WSM. I personally would use a site sponsor, or check a local shop near you. Call the dealer they can point you to a shop to check cylinders for bore. You might only need a hone?

Adam

Start planning on paying more than $300.00 right away.

I just went through this whole process less than two month's ago and it totaled out to $415.00

Keep reading and you will see why.

The shipping which you will pay both way's will get ya for at least $50.00 unless your not shipping cylinders. You do not as others have stated need to take the engine out of the Bike. I would already question the integrity of anything else stated Banshee wise from that fellow. It's not like it's even questionable.

If your like me or other's while your cylinders are off and getting worked on Now would be the optimal time to take care of any other type of maintenance deal that you know will eventually come your way.

You may as well freshen up a few things now

I.E. Rad Hose going from Head to Water Pump, Seal on the clutch lever actuator arm, Spark plugs, Reed Gasket's unless part of the price, Carb Bowl gasket's if you plan to clean the carbs, exhaust O'rings, etc...

All I'm saying is Don't Cut Yourself So Short. Any kind of a monkey wrench and you will be SOL. If your not ready $$$ wise right now don't put yourself in a crappy position.

Many of the site sponsors offer good deals on a topend rebuild. I noticed in the video you have pipes and a couple of other mods you may wanna think about pulling the motor and removing your crank for inspection and have it sent off to be trued and welded while your doing your topend. Most site sponsors will do this for about $60. Its worth the money to spend $300 on a rebuid only to have a crank fail would be a bad day for sure. Even on a tight budget the engine is what makes these bikes what they are so it's the last place you wanna cut corners and skimp out save up a little longer and take the extra time and you will really get some great bang for your buck.

Many of the site sponsors offer good deals on a topend rebuild. I noticed in the video you have pipes and a couple of other mods you may wanna think about pulling the motor and removing your crank for inspection and have it sent off to be trued and welded while your doing your topend. Most site sponsors will do this for about $60. Its worth the money to spend $300 on a rebuid only to have a crank fail would be a bad day for sure. Even on a tight budget the engine is what makes these bikes what they are so it's the last place you wanna cut corners and skimp out save up a little longer and take the extra time and you will really get some great bang for your buck.

I agree with this. First shee i owned, i lost a rod to a separated crank and it wiped out the cylinder with it. 2nd shee separated a crank and luckily didnt ruin anything except a trip. Both bikes had just bolt ons on them nothing internal. Stock heads with stock compression. I swore i would never own another shee without pulling it down and welding the crank. Last shee i bought ran great but i pulled it down anyway only to find excessive rod big end clearance. For what it costs and the little amount of work it takes, I would have the crank welded for sure. If nothing else when you do the top end take a good look at the big end of the rods and measure the side clearance and make sure its in spec and nothing is moving.