Carb help....please?!?!?!?!?!

Dave G

Hello ladies and gentleman.....I am here to present the "Complete Dumbass of the Year" award to Dave G., for his absolute neglect in remembering basic engine principles. lol

Listen to this.....Two days worth of getting gray hair and then pulling it out because I couldn't get this thing to run. I decided to pull the carbs again, and recheck float levels. This time however, I kept the carbs upright and pulled the bowls so I could see the actual level of fuel in the bowls...... or rather in this case, lack of! The bowls were basically dry. I put the bowls back on, kept the carbs upright, and hooked up the fuel tank to fill them. Still empty.... Hmmmm, that could be a problem. I turned the petcock on the tank to on with it hooked to nothing. No fuel! Turn to reserve.....fuel poured. Cleaned the petcock, put it all back together.....fired up second kick and runs fine.

Live and learn, I suppose. Thank you all for the help and maybe this discovery will help someone else someday!!!!

Sincerely......dumbass of the year,

Dave G.

Hello ladies and gentleman.....I am here to present the "Complete Dumbass of the Year" award to Dave G., for his absolute neglect in remembering basic engine principles. lol

Listen to this.....Two days worth of getting gray hair and then pulling it out because I couldn't get this thing to run. I decided to pull the carbs again, and recheck float levels. This time however, I kept the carbs upright and pulled the bowls so I could see the actual level of fuel in the bowls...... or rather in this case, lack of! The bowls were basically dry. I put the bowls back on, kept the carbs upright, and hooked up the fuel tank to fill them. Still empty.... Hmmmm, that could be a problem. I turned the petcock on the tank to on with it hooked to nothing. No fuel! Turn to reserve.....fuel poured. Cleaned the petcock, put it all back together.....fired up second kick and runs fine.

Live and learn, I suppose. Thank you all for the help and maybe this discovery will help someone else someday!!!!

Sincerely......dumbass of the year,

Dave G.

I have been following your post since it started because I was interested in the issue you were having. The guys always seem to give great advise on trouble shooting so I have been stock piling the info I see the wise men give out time and time again because it seem to always be pretty much the same when it comes to carb issues. I would have to say I haven't seen this one yet though. Good job on being patient enough to make the discovery the way you did though. This has already helped me because like I said I haven't seen this tip yet so it has now also been added to stock pile.

sounds good to me, unless it used to be much higer, but, isn't this a fresh rebuild? yah i wouldn't expect it much higher yet

It'll run on 110 psi, but most people rebuild at that point.

Could be OK....if he's at a high elevation....which would cause lower compression

It is a fresh rebuild with a twist. When I ordered the pistons, I was off by one size. I got 64.5mm, and I should have gotten 65mm. When I went to have the cylinders bored, they were already big enough to accept the pistons. (With a little honing) I went ahead and threw it together so I could ride while I have another set of bigger pistons on the way. When they arrive, I will pull it back down and get it bored to match.

On a different note, I went riding yesterday....and even though I can't give it all she has cause if break in, its NASTY! Power band in this thing is wicked! I think I may be running a little lean though, because after a while of riding, when you shut it off, you can hear bubbling (boiling I presume) in the radiator. But after pulling the plugs on a high RPM power off, they are ever so slightly black. Not wet.....just a little black. That should indicate slightly rich. So I dunno..... Any input? You guys know way more than I do!!!!

It is a fresh rebuild with a twist. When I ordered the pistons, I was off by one size. I got 64.5mm, and I should have gotten 65mm. When I went to have the cylinders bored, they were already big enough to accept the pistons. (With a little honing) I went ahead and threw it together so I could ride while I have another set of bigger pistons on the way. When they arrive, I will pull it back down and get it bored to match.

On a different note, I went riding yesterday....and even though I can't give it all she has cause if break in, its NASTY! Power band in this thing is wicked! I think I may be running a little lean though, because after a while of riding, when you shut it off, you can hear bubbling (boiling I presume) in the radiator. But after pulling the plugs on a high RPM power off, they are ever so slightly black. Not wet.....just a little black. That should indicate slightly rich. So I dunno..... Any input? You guys know way more than I do!!!!

So you're running 64.5 pistons in 65.00 jugs? I can't imagine that being good....

So you're running 64.5 pistons in 65.00 jugs? I can't imagine that being good....

Not exactly. The jugs are 64.5 also, but I wanted a fresh bore. For that I needed 65. Instead, I ended up just honing the old bore, which is fine. I just preferred a fresh bore......