dead strator?

speel211

need some veterans to condemn my strator!!

I was attempting to mod my stock timing plate to an adjustable one.

pulled the cover and found that the rubber gasket must have been leaking. Flywheel rusted to @#$%, Strator looks like it belongs in a cave it has so much oxidation on the copper, ( Bike was running decent prior to mod). Had lots of trouble breaking the bolts because the rust had ate away at all the heads of the bolts. sprayed a very small amount of CLR on the strator and let soak overnight. Next day strator was looking recognizable with a large puddle of white glump underneath.

reassembled....bike would not kick over. pulled plug to check for spark...no spark! Check continuity on yellow and black leads from strator with 0 resistance. checked continuity from red and green wires from strator...had 0 resistance.

i hate to spend $200 dollars on a part that was not in my budget for my build......just looking for someone to verify what i already know....Do i need a new strator???

Not to be a smart ass but did you double check the wire connectors to make sure you have a good conection? Its easy not to get them pluged in all the way. 0 ohms is an open circiut, so logic would would say disconected. Maybe even a broken connection at the stator. Keep in mind covering the basic's in trouble shooting problems can save time and money.

hope this helps.

Not to be a smart ass but did you double check the wire connectors to make sure you have a good conection? Its easy not to get them pluged in all the way. 0 ohms is an open circiut, so logic would would say disconected. Maybe even a broken connection at the stator. Keep in mind covering the basic's in trouble shooting problems can save time and money.

hope this helps.

No, 0 ohms is a shorted circuit, infinite ohms is an open circuit. If he truly has 0 ohms then his stator is shorted out, which means the CLR ate all the insulation off the windings. I don't know if CLR would do that or not, but that is what it sounds like. I would have use some electric motor cleaner myself.

Edited by bansheesandrider

No, 0 ohms is a shorted circuit, infinite ohms is an open circuit. If he truly has 0 ohms then his stator is shorted out, which means the CLR ate all the insulation off the windings. I don't know if CLR would do that or not, but that is what it sounds like. I would have use some electric motor cleaner myself.

Hit the nail on the fucking head. 0 is still a reading. Contact cleaner is a good way to clean those.

0 ohms is an "open" circut, no power can pass, travel as in a wire is broke. A short is would read infinate as it is going straight to ground

0 ohms is an "open" circut, no power can pass, travel as in a wire is broke. A short is would read infinate as it is going straight to ground

That actually is right I retract my other statement. But like stated 0 is a reading. Also if you do some searching, a lot of people say that they test something and it'll be way out of spec but it'll still work. It was either the coil or the stator

You guys better go back and read your electrical theory manual again! Yes, 0 is a reading, it means that there is NO resistance and electricity can flow freely through the circuit resulting in a lot of amps flowing - if something is shorted to ground, it has a direct connection to ground and you have sparks and melted wires. It is rare to have a true 0 reading as there is always some resistance in the circuit and/or the meter. Infinitey means the resistance is so high that it is not measureable and therefore electricity CANNOT flow, so it is an open circuit. Take a piece of wire and read the resistance across it, it will be a low number reading, because it is a closed circuit with little resistance. Now cut the wire in two and read the resistance across the same two ends that you were connected to the first time( not the ends you just made by cutting it), it will read infinite because it is now an open circuit.

You guys better go back and read your electrical theory manual again! Yes, 0 is a reading, it means that there is NO resistance and electricity can flow freely through the circuit resulting in a lot of amps flowing - if something is shorted to ground, it has a direct connection to ground and you have sparks and melted wires. It is rare to have a true 0 reading as there is always some resistance in the circuit and/or the meter. Infinitey means the resistance is so high that it is not measureable and therefore electricity CANNOT flow, so it is an open circuit. Take a piece of wire and read the resistance across it, it will be a low number reading, because it is a closed circuit with little resistance. Now cut the wire in two and read the resistance across the same two ends that you were connected to the first time( not the ends you just made by cutting it), it will read infinite because it is now an open circuit.

X2 bingo!

bad ju-ju.!!!

here is what you do-

now pay attention, you are going to need the following:

first, contact cleaner

some sand-paper (scotch-brite)

dielectric terminal grease, aka "truckilte grease"

a nice, heafty newspaper, with a good amount of mass to it

a compressed air source.

remove the stator completely, and i hope you are using the proper tool tp press the flywheel off, not a jaw, or something.

spray it down with the contact cleaner/lecta-motive, and let it soak for a minute..

take the news-paper and roll it to a nice, tight roll.

smack yourself in the head repeatedly for playing luck-checmist on you banshee. feel free to proceed/alternate your testicles in the random smacking.

after a few rounds of justification, spray more cleaner on the sttor, etc to flush off the corrosion and such.

now, blow the satator dry and make sure it is clean.

you will likely need to sand the build-up from the contacts, and such, so take the liberty to smack yourself with the roll once again, and begin sanding them, once your smackinng has been satisfied, and then some.

finally, take your ohm readings at the plugs. just remember 3 things- the black (ground) wire is onlly connected to the cable retainer at the back of the stator, so it will not read if it is not screwed down, second- red/green does need to be pretty close in range for afermarket, and within range for staock stators, or it will not run good, or at all., and last, don't forget to beat yourself repeately, randomly, and at my will over the next 24hrs.

if the short is gone, then re-assemble, and use the dielectric on the connectors, seals, and exposed solder/wire

My bad , I dont know what i was thinking. Brain fart I guess. ( man do I feel like an idiot )

0 ohms = direct contact

OL = open(no resistace)

My bad , I dont know what i was thinking. Brain fart I guess. ( man do I feel like an idiot )

0 ohms = direct contact

OL = open(no resistace)

You are close- 0 Ohms=direct contact, NO RESISTANCE

OL=open circuit, INFINITE RESISTANCE or resistance that is so high it can not be measured.

Ohms law: I = V/R

When resistance ® is zero you get infinite current. This is also called a short. It's the same thing as putting a wrench across your positive and negative terminals and watching the mass amounts if current arc everywhere.

When R is infinite your current flow becomes zero meaning the circuit is zero. This is an open circuit.

On a side note you should really never get a reading of zero if your circuit is complete because all wires and coils have an inherent resistance to them. Then again that number is generally really small so your ohm meter might not pick it up. I don't know much about states but I've done my fair share of studying in the electrical field. Just my .02

most meters, even the flukes, are going to read in the 0.00 range at low loads. typically, most meters will zero out at .02-.05oms, and i have seen some as high as .2, which is rediculous, and sometimes due to a low battery. either way, this is your "zero" of the meter and must be subtracted from any reading. the wires in the stator should ohm to 0.00. there is not enough resistence in them to be picked up in such a short run. the mag wire of the stator windings is what you are reading. any resistance ouside of that is a problem. there is a short somewhere, and it needs to be found. i would likely say it's in the corrosion, or the insulation has been etched from the clr. it also could be in the pig-tail harness, and it was chafed through, and any build-up etc that was preventing contact was washed away. "OL" means out of limit, which is either extremely high, beyond mega-ohms, or open circuit. i do have to say, that the meter must be reading in the 0.00 range to test the lighting side (black & yellow) and 00.0 for the ingnition windings (red & green) and the pickup should be close to 100.