Engine Break In

mix it 20:1 and ride it like you stole it for the first tank. swap the plugs and mix normal and ride it like you stole it again.....

seriously though as long as you run the proper oil ratio it should be ready to go as soon as it hits operating temps. if it fails it was due to not being built right or a bad part.

there are many theories out there.. i personally like to bring the motor up to temp and do a light mx style ride for 15mins or so then let it cool down completly before doing it all over again. i do this for about 1/2 tank. I personaly believe that this is the best technique because you are putting positive and negitive charges on the rings to ensure they seat right. Is this the absoulute best way?? who knows. It works for me!! i know that starting it up and letting it idle in the drive way for 1/2 hour is not a good idea!!

Edited by special06shee

mix it 20:1 and ride it like you stole it for the first tank. swap the plugs and mix normal and ride it like you stole it again.....

seriously though as long as you run the proper oil ratio it should be ready to go as soon as it hits operating temps. if it fails it was due to not being built right or a bad part.

that's what I've been told. Look at the 3000 hp funny cars the run fresh rebuilds in between runs. They don't do get cycles or any thing. Kevin at HJR said if it breaks you did something wrong. So start it up see if you hear anything then ride it. I don't go blasting out the garage, I'll just run through the gears and then it's game on from there

there are many theories out there.. i personally like to bring the motor up to temp and do a light mx style ride for 15mins or so then let it cool down completly before doing it all over again. i do this for about 1/2 tank. I personaly believe that this is the best technique because you are putting positive and negitive charges on the rings to ensure they seat right. Is this the absoulute best way?? who knows. It works for me!! i know that starting it up and letting it idle in the drive way for 1/2 hour is not a good idea!!

it's not a iron ring you realize that right? the rings are as good as they are gonna get as soon as you reach temps. you will only lose compression from there and the reason they have pins is because they never really "seat". these are not gm 350's and this is not the 70's. start it, warm it up and ride it.

it's not a iron ring you realize that right? the rings are as good as they are gonna get as soon as you reach temps. you will only lose compression from there and the reason they have pins is because they never really "seat". these are not gm 350's and this is not the 70's. start it, warm it up and ride it.

exactly, the rings take a seat within about 15min. warm it up and make sure its not gonna leak and go ride it pretty much like normal.

Im gunna be the one who disagree's, The rings will seat better after a few hours of running. Like i just said on another post, My 421 gained compression after 3 hours of hard run time. I agreee, Dont baby it, Let it get warm, and run it hard. The rings will seat better under high load.

Im gunna be the one who disagree's, The rings will seat better after a few hours of running. Like i just said on another post, My 421 gained compression after 3 hours of hard run time. I agreee, Dont baby it, Let it get warm, and run it hard. The rings will seat better under high load.

wow

I was never worried about the rings. I was worried more about the piston skirts. The let it warm up at idle ride varying throttle to 1/4 for 15 minutes. Let the bike cool. Then ride again varying throttle allowing the power band to about 3/4 of throttle then start getting into it. Add more oil will cause a lean mixture which can be as bad as lean jets.

I have alway run a 2 stroke this way and never had problems.

You mentioned top fuel drag racers. They don't get many passes on those motors before they are rebuilt.

i was just making a suggestion.. i did not say that this was the absoulute best way.. just the way i have been braking things in for years, anything from quads 2strokes and 4strokes, big block chevys,small block chevys and even my little nitro powered rc trucks. i really do believe that if it is assembled properly and no interal part fails you'll be good to go regardless of your technique. i just do it this way for a "piece of mind" kind of deal. does it really help?? i dont know, its just the way i have been doing things for a while and it has been working for me! i guess its all personal preference!