EGT meter

This is something I've wondered about as well. I come from the turbodiesel world and it's all about EGT. I would suspect these have an ideal operating temp as well.

every motor will run better at different temps. the good thing about the egt is you can keep tuning going hotter and hotter until you start to lose power and then go back down to your "sweet spot." then, from then on you can just tune your pjs to get to your sweet spot. i have a cheap koso one and it worked just fine until last time i went out. the time before that, it was windy and rainy so i think the connections just need to be cleaned up and it should work fine. i think an egt is a must and they make life so much easier.

seriously get a DIGATRON. of all the ones i have used they are the BEST KOSOS suck i dont know why they are even sold. i have personally seen a bunch of them fail utterly after only a few rides. my digatron is almost 7 years old and still works like it did when new..

water resistant, has a built in battery/ chaging system. its onkly one box to screw with tis simple and the better ones have data recording. the ones i have used int he past were 2 screen dt-50 series. most have tach, water temp, and 2 egt's. trust me yoru not going to be able to stare at your egt while you scream down the road. you NEED to have recall. and on longer runs your temps will get much higher than short runs if you have differnt run lengths its nice to have one for proper temp set up. what i used to do was set mine up for peak of about 950ish ( alky) and then i knew if i needed another lil bit i could tune down to 1050-1100. if you setup to hit 1050+ you need to allow time to cool down or setup a lil on the fat side on the lower rpms to help cool it down.

egt's are also good for setting up and getting close or seeing if there is an impending probelm with your motor that you cannot hear/ see. i had a crank bearing fail one time and that side went sky high on one run. after i noticed that i shut the bike down and parked it it still ran and honestly wasnt making any noise ther was a lil bit more vibration than normal but i could have very well ran it another pass and toasted the entire engine. i havent used an egt for specific temp's in a few years. anymore i just look at the plugs. BUT if your new to alky its a decent way to kinda see how your tune is. you have to be VERY specific on where the bungs are placed and EVERY motor may have differnt numbers that it likes. the way an engine runs will have major effects on actuall EGT numbers. just because your friends idles at 300d and yours is at 225 dont think its a bad thing. use it as s tuning tool and a preventative tool.

plus some models you can do lots more than just egt... IF you know what to do and look for.

I have been running a KOSO unit for 3+years. It's great. It's ALOT smaller than the drag based units like the digatron. It's about the same size as a trail tech vapor. The only issue that you have to be aware of is voltage spikes from the Stator. (The trail tech units are known for seeing these issues too.) You can run a battery or do like I do and just run the headlights to soak up the extra voltage. (On my last bike I just mounted a single grip warmer to run all the time and mounted the warmer to the frame under the seat.)

The KOSO has recall, stores peak, has a red flashing warning feature when you get about a set point temp of your choosing, has fast reading probe and you can even get a model that will do double duty and act as a water temp gauge too. Plus the price is just right.

EGT's can be useful. But for alky...leaning down the mixture doesn't effect the power as much as it does with gas. You can be pig fat on alky and the HP doesn't fall off like it would with gas.

the digatron i have is hooked striaight to the headlight wiring off of the stator no regulator no hand warmer no battery issues no extra box no extra bullshit. they also have the warning light feature's and have data logging. you can hook them to your laptop and customize any feature on it download runs and the better ones have multiple inputs aswell. you can do rpm, mph, 2-4 egt's and water temp. it has 2 screens and is realtively small

first time i saw a koso i thought it was neato. BUT i wasnt aware they can be ran without the huge battery box. i had made the suggestion to some of my friends that unluckly bought them that they should try to hook them direct to power off the bike.. if the koso was availble with all those inputs and could be reliable and would have download/data logging for around 300 bucks i'd consider one.