Teach me dunables

fuzzypickles

Hey guys. I am considering getting a dunable tranny. I hear of all different kinds, such as N down 1-5 or N down 1-3 M4 M5. What in the world does any of that mean? :confused: could someone teach me the different kinds, their purposes, and the differences in them? Thanks!

N down means, neutral is all the way down. where first gear is. not between 1st and 2nd. N down 1-3 M4 M5, im not 100% sure, but M4 and M5 refers to gears in the transmission. 1-5 means that their is no 6th gear.

Try searching override transmissions on here and see if you can find more detailed descriptions.

N down means, neutral is all the way down. where first gear is. not between 1st and 2nd. N down 1-3 M4 M5, im not 100% sure, but M4 and M5 refers to gears in the transmission. 1-5 means that their is no 6th gear.

Try searching override transmissions on here and see if you can find more detailed descriptions.

the M means its still manual and you have to use the clutch for those gears.

Yes. It is still best to let the clutch lever out when you click into each gear to fully engage it but you do not need to stop. If you trail or dune ride you may want to keep 1 st in the stock position allowing you to downshift like normal without going into N accidentally at times. A 1-5 only has 5 gears and as stated a M means that gear requires clutch use to get into that gear. You can also get a trans without having 1st cut so you can backload 1 st all you want but drag in 2-5 without clutching. Many options.

Yes. It is still best to let the clutch lever out when you click into each gear to fully engage it but you do not need to stop. If you trail or dune ride you may want to keep 1 st in the stock position allowing you to downshift like normal without going into N accidentally at times. A 1-5 only has 5 gears and as stated a M means that gear requires clutch use to get into that gear. You can also get a trans without having 1st cut so you can backload 1 st all you want but drag in 2-5 without clutching. Many options.

uncut 1st with dunable 2-5 sounds perfect for my riding. who should i go to to get my trans modded?

uncut 1st with dunable 2-5 sounds perfect for my riding. who should i go to to get my trans modded?

Call around and talk to a few builders and see who you like. redline cuts a nice override and so does WCR, Tim @ titan does some great work as well. I have tim @ titan cut my overrides.

- Jared

Dunable or not, you shouldn't downshift that transmission. That is called back loading. I called around the info i got was as follows: You can cause problems downshifting. You can up shift under power. You can let off the throttle to back out of a wheelie, but you can DS like a stocker.

I got this info from Jeff at FAST, he uses WCR cut duneables. Stock transmission is the way to go if you are going to be beating on it like this

Adam

If you are in 5th gear cruising and come to a large incline you can down shift to climb the incline no problem. You can down shift to keep bike in correct power range for your riding application. Just don't be going topped out than start shifting down to slow down. Dunables are better for back load than standard trannies. But they are not stock.

Well what is back loading? I thought that back loading was using the transmission to slow the bike. IE: compression braking. So downshifting if you are moving uses the compression to slow down to some degree no matter your speed.

Adam

backloading is pretty much letting of the gas and using the trany to slow down or letting off the gas and not pulling in the clutch and letting it coast with the clutch still out and not on the throttle

backloading is pretty much letting of the gas and using the trany to slow down or letting off the gas and not pulling in the clutch and letting it coast with the clutch still out and not on the throttle

Just to add to this a tiny bit.

Say you are in 5th, and you wind 5th all the out where shes done revving, back loading would then be letting off the throttle from that state and letting the bike slow it self down.

I used to do this on my Warrior all the time because it was straight piped and i loved my cackles lol.