34mm PWK's on Stock Cylinder's

Thack82

A buddy of mine that owns a ATV Performance Shop had a 05 Banshee dropped off at his shop with the following performance parts wanting them put on and his quad tuned:

• Pro-Design Cool Head/21cc Domes
  • Twin UNI Foam Filters (Straight off the Carbs NO Air Box)
  • T5 Pipes and Silencer's
  • New NGKR BR8ES Spark Plugs
  • Pro-Design 34mm Billet Intakes
  • Brand New 34mm Keihin PWK Dual Carb Kit (Complete with Throttle Cable, Small Jet Kit 55 Pilots/162, 165 Mains. I'm assuming the two Main Jets he got in the kit are his summer and winter Jets)

* 748-780 Feet Above Sea Level with 93 Octane Pump Gas Mixed 32:1.

These are the only mods on the Banshee, the timings not advanced, it has NO Port work, bone stock top and bottom end. Right now he has the 55 Pilot and the 162 Main Jets in the PWK's and he ask me to take it for a quick ride to see what I thought because I ride a Banshee. It feels sick on the bottom and it has a ton of intake noise but once the power band hits it feels okay. I told him I'd see what the BHQ Guy's thought and let him know something this afternoon. Will these 34mm PWK's work on pretty much a stock Banshee?

We tried putting a set of 48 Pilots I had in my Kit in it and it popped and chocked out when you pinned the throttle, so he tried the 55's and it did run and it didn't choke. I'm going to stop by Derby Cycle today and try to pick up a 50 and a 52 Pilot. Is it possible to get this pretty much Stock Banshee tuned and running properly with these big 34mm PWK's? Any Input would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Thack82

Those carbs will work fine with that motor. You should be around a 155 to a 160 main jet and the 55 pilot should be fine. A ceg or a cel needle is also what you will want to be running in it. O and just so you know if they really ar 34 mill carbs then they are a pj not a pwk

Those carbs will work fine with that motor. You should be around a 155 to a 160 main jet and the 55 pilot should be fine. A ceg or a cel needle is also what you will want to be running in it. O and just so you know if they really ar 34 mill carbs then they are a pj not a pwk

I'm sorry Guy I didn't mean to miss lead you, they are PJ 34mm Carbs, keep the opinion's coming I want to print them out and give them to my buddy that owns the Performance Shop "Withrow Powersport's". He told the guy that brought the Banshee in that he needed to have Aggressive Porting and a Big Bore or Aftermarket Big Bore Cylinder Set Up to utilize those big carburetors and get them tuned properly on that bike. Your input is a tremendous help!

01f4_1.JPG

You do not need a agressive port or big bore to run those carbs. I have ran those carbs on several bike with just mild dune porting and they run great. They will not work as well as they possibly could on a stock motor but if they are setup right they will work just fine.

Make sure your buddy has a sync tool and warns the customer that everytime he pulls the choke he risks taking the carbs outta sync so be carefull,i have put those carbs on a few set-ups,you need a c series needle of sorts everyone seems to have luck with the cel,me not so much.As stated above 155-160 mains,52 pilot to start

My friend has a similar set up.

PD coolhead 20cc domes, 300ft above sea level, 93 pump gas.

34 PJ´s, T5 pipes and +4 timing.

K&N filters and some aftermarket reeds in stock reed cages.

CEL and CEK needles didn´t work for us they were too lean. We both use N8RE KTM factory needles out of 36PWK (250cc CX KTM) and they work great.

he has 48 pilots and 160 mains now when the temp is -5 to -10*C. It is a little rich. 50 or 52 pilots were too rich.

It worked awesome with 152 mains in around +12*C

I have the same needles in my 35PWK´s with my ported stock cylinders. 45 pilots and 165 mains in around -6 to -15*C.