Why Wont My Front Hubs Come Off?

bansh_88

I have an 88 Banshee which I am trying to replace the wheel bearings on. I removed the front wheel, took off the hub nut and removed the bolts holding the brake caliper and hung the caliper up out of my way. I took a soft face hammer to tap the backside of the hub but got nowhere with it. I went gently and evenly at first with the soft face hammer and then when nothing happened, I started whacking it quite forcefully. But still nothing!! No movement!!

Does anyone have a solution to help ,me getting this hub off? Anyone have any idea as to what the problem may be? When lifted off the ground, I spin the wheel and it spins freely but not smoothly at all. As it spins, I hear clunking sounds in the hub area like it has rocks for bearings. But again, it does spin freely just not all that smoothly.

If anyone has ANY suggestions or advise that may help me get this hub off, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hit it with wd or pb and let it sit for a day, then put the nut back on till it is flush with the spindle so you can hit the spundle/nut without damaging it then hold pressure on the back of the hub while hitting the nut/spindle with a real hammer. A medium weight hammer has worked best for me. If that does not work, try some heat.

Get a bigger hammer! Take a pick and pull out the seal. Spray it with wd-40, PB Blaster or something like that. Those are probably 24 year old bearings so god only knows what they've been through.

Thanks! Went and did that right after reading your reply and will see how it works. I may very well need a bigger hammer if this doesnt work.

hit it with your purse................or try the pb blaster she'll come off goodluck :cheers:

Hehehehehe!! I dont want to get my purse dirty though! :rotflmao: If the WD40 on it doesnt work, I may have to try PB Blaster. Thanks.

Hit it with wd or pb and let it sit for a day, then put the nut back on till it is flush with the spindle so you can hit the spundle/nut without damaging it then hold pressure on the back of the hub while hitting the nut/spindle with a real hammer. A medium weight hammer has worked best for me. If that does not work, try some heat.

Great idea. That will be plan "B" if WD40/PB Blaster and a bigger hammer doesnt work. Thanks.

Definitely use the PB Blaster. And then how about a gear puller- it will apply alot more force in a controlled manner so you don't damage something else.

Another great idea. That will be Plan "C" if the above doesnt work. Thanks.

The bearings are just seized to the spindle. Big ass hammer should do it. Just be careful not to tear anything else up.

Uh-oh, that possibility had crossed my mind while I was whacking on it with the hammer... When a bearing seizes on a spindle, usually that doesnt mean that I am going to need a new spindle, right? Thanks.

Thanks again everyone for the replies. Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again everyone. I finally got it off and upon looking at the spindle I can see that the bearing must had been seized somewhat to the spindle. I did a quick polishing up on the spindle with scotch-brite and all looks good other than a small dip in the spindle where the bearing possibly seized onto the shaft. It isnt noticeable by eye, but I can feel a dip in the shaft of the spindle in one area when I run my fingernail on the surface of it. Could this slight imperfection cause me issues in the future? Its not big at all nor is it noticeable by eye, but it is defintely felt when I run my fingernail along the surface of the spindle shaft. Should I be concerned about this? Or should it be fine?

Thanks!!

Thanks again everyone. I finally got it off and upon looking at the spindle I can see that the bearing must had been seized somewhat to the spindle. I did a quick polishing up on the spindle with scotch-brite and all looks good other than a small dip in the spindle where the bearing possibly seized onto the shaft. It isnt noticeable by eye, but I can feel a dip in the shaft of the spindle in one area when I run my fingernail on the surface of it. Could this slight imperfection cause me issues in the future? Its not big at all nor is it noticeable by eye, but it is defintely felt when I run my fingernail along the surface of the spindle shaft. Should I be concerned about this? Or should it be fine?

Thanks!!

Well after reading this,,,, i would definitely say it was seized! not must of been,,,,,,

you should be good to run it though, if it seizes again bust out that big hammer!!

The life of a bearing is largely dependent on the shaft and bore in which they mount. If the spindle in question is damaged, it may (most likely) distort the inner bearing race when mounted and cause premature bearing failure. The bearing was designed with a certain interference fit in mind. If that fit is not retained, the inner clearances in the bearing are not taken up.

Guess you can try it and see what happens but I would get it back off as soon as it starts to fail again so you don't spin the race on the shaft and make more work for yourself.

Sounds like the last owner tightend the snot out of hub nut before figuring out that was the wrong thing to do.

I always put a little greese on the spindle before mounting everything as a form of anit-seize.

With new bearings, you'll be good for a long time.

spend 50 bucks and buy another set of spindles and newer style calipers.. the spindles you have might even be bent or have some stress issues also especially if they are stock and the bike was MX raced..

if its that old im sure every single high wear point on the entire bike is shot. a-arm mounts, all bearing's and surfaces. etc..