Overflowing carb.

This is for my friends shee so bear with me here. It will randomly overflow out of the left carb because the float is sticking I believe. I think this because when you tap on the bowl it'll stop. It also runs on only 1 cylinder some of the time unless WOT. Does the carb just need cleaned out?

Also, clutch slips only at high rpms in 3,4,5th gears. New clutch in order?

Thanks!

-Zak

Buy the Clymers manual for the bike, thats absolutely step #1.

If your float bowls are set within tolerances from the Clymers manual, then their should be no gas leaking from the overflow tube, so start there. Do the same for your clutch plates. Get a set of vernier calipers and check the thicknesses of all of the plates though, dont just stop if you find one thats too thin.

Sounds good. What's an average price for a vernier and where could we get one.

if the clutch has been slipping it's probably ready for replacement. a weak clutch tends to show itself in the upper gears. imo, put a new clutch pack in.

a new needle and seat may be in order for the carb issue. if you tap on it and it stops, then the float level is probably ok. clean it out good, and if the problem continues, replace the needle and seat.

Clean the carbs. Do both carbs. Check the float levels and you will be good. Contact a site sponsor for a clutch kit, install those. I would check the water pump if you are doing the clutch. Reason being do peace of mind and to check for damage/wear.

I you have more question let us know. There are a lot of tech savy folks here

• 3 years later...

This AM while trying to start my banshee I noticed gas flowing out of the float bowl overflow tube. I removed the carb pulled the float bowl off, pulled the pin holding the float assy. to get to the needle jet and yes there was the culprit. A chrome flake had got between the rubber on the needle jet and its brass housing. I removed it reassembled the carb turned on the fuel and no more leak.