so thinking about cool head

Finch

That depends. How worn are your cylinders? If the crank is fucked. If crank is bad I'd get a 4 mill crank and you sound like you want to get a port job. 4 mill porting is different than stock stroke. Depends on how wild you want to go. Don't order pistons till you have your juggs off. There is a ware limit.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That depends. How worn are your cylinders? If the crank is fucked. If crank is bad I'd get a 4 mill crank and you sound like you want to get a port job. 4 mill porting is different than stock stroke. Depends on how wild you want to go. Don't order pistons till you have your juggs off. There is a ware limit.

ya i was just about to edit that im not gonna get anything till i open her up. seems like everyone is suggesting wiseco pistons so if everything is in order just getting the rebuild kit from local dealer

hey mike.....it depends on what pistons are currently in your bike....that is what depends on whether you can tell by a number what the bore size is. wiseco (as far as i know) is the only one that has the bore size in the piston number up top. Sorry earlier about suggesting a rebuild.....i did not pay attention/realize that you were in utah. 90 is not really that bad then. Its not super high.....but its not excessibely low either.

hey mike.....it depends on what pistons are currently in your bike....that is what depends on whether you can tell by a number what the bore size is. wiseco (as far as i know) is the only one that has the bore size in the piston number up top. Sorry earlier about suggesting a rebuild.....i did not pay attention/realize that you were in utah. 90 is not really that bad then. Its not super high.....but its not excessibely low either.

oh i going to do one any one any way seeing how i have no idea whats in there also going to slap on a cool head and adjustable timing what if there not wiseco just measure them?

If your compression gauge is in doubt, try another. Be sure that the thread in adaptor is same length as your spark plug. If it's shorter you will read up to ten lbs. lower.

Do you have head off yet? When you pull it off take a look at cylinder walls, how do they look? Maybe post pics. If you are so inclined, pull the pipes and reeds off and look at the pistons. Are they scored badly? How do rings look through ex port? If in doubt, post pics. As to piston clearance, that has to be measured with micrometers, you can't just jamb a feeler gauge down in there. At this point I would put the cool head on and see what you have for compression. You know you could have just milled your head. But hey, now you have a "cool" head.

As to search function, I think it blows major donkey balls. I've tried + and " ", but I'm computer compentancy challenged (P.C. Bullshit :jesterlaugh: ). Sometimes you have to do it the old fashioned way and just LOOK. I'm sure not every thread says use search, as a lot of it has to do with how a person comes across with their "tone of voice". Texting shorthand, ghetto slang shit, run-on sentences don't fly well here. :cheers:

Ya as I said I'm not the best with writeing or any of that but I'm trying to do better for you guys plus I got the cool head and didn't want to mill head so if I ever decide or had a reason to I just just thro the stock head back on. Will do I probally tear it apart after this weekend and will post pics appreciate the input. Also going to recompression cheak