Hard to Start

Buckwheat

I have an 06 stock banshee tors deleted, Noss Cool Head with 21cc domes, stock exhaust, stock timing, stock jetting, running AV gas. I don't get to ride often and the shee sits a lot. Initially it is hard to start. I have to kick it over 20 or 30 times to get it to bust off. Once it's cranked, it will then crank on the first or second kick after that. Any ideas?

Thnaks in advance,

Wheat

start with the making sure you have fresh fuel. i would do a simple compression, check beings it is stock maybe time for a rebuild. if that's good make sure the carbs are squeaky clean. change out plugs maybe. i know its humid down there could be a weak spark caused by a little rust .

I blame shitty gas. My son's if it sat more than a week it needed a shot of starting fluid. After that when cold it would start 2 kicks cold. No issues starting other than if it sat for a long period. :cheers:

JMHO, your results may, and will vary.

After you have it fired up, does it start easy when cold that same day?

Edited by Larry's Shee

I blame shitty gas. My son's if it sat more than a week it needed a shot of starting fluid. After that when cold it would start 2 kicks cold. No issues starting other than if it sat for a long period. :cheers:

JMHO, your results may, and will vary.

After you have it fired up, does it start easy when cold that same day?

Yes, on the first or second kick. It has fresh aviation fuel in it.

Wheat

wheat.....when your talking that it sits for a good period of time......how long are you talking? i just went out and prepped my quad for winter hibernation and it only took 7 kicks to start.....it hasn't been started since mid september.....

A few weeks or so.

Wheat

AV gas shouldnt go bad for a long ass time, It has no ethenol in it. and ethenol is what causes newer pump gas to go bad so quick. His gas should be good for atleast 6 months if not longer.

Wheat, do you shut the gas off and run it for a min or so after to try to drain the carbs? maybe the oil in the carbs is gumming it all up?

To answer the previous two posts, the bike runs and idles great once it starts. Carbs are balanced. Not sure about the air bleed though. I usually don't run the carbs dry when shutting off and storing. Should I?

Thanks for the help,

Wheat

I had a similar problem on a bike I worked on a few years ago. It turned out that the carb bowls were swapped. The choke will only work with the correct bowl on it. Try swapping the bowls and let us know.

Mailman

Will do. Thanks!

Wheat