wont kick start

tom582

Hey all, I just picked up a 96 banshee it has keihin carbs and rest is stock. once in while it will kick . It will bump start very very easy after started will run great idle great.. it does seem slight rich but not bad. right cylinder is at 120 left is 100.. I know 100 is about time for rebuild. but it runs great and idles great . why cant i kickstart it banghead ...it does not have tors and key seems to have been bypassed.. ( i do have title and key not stolen)lol thanks for any ideas you may have.

Hey all, I just picked up a 96 banshee it has keihin carbs and rest is stock. once in while it will kick . It will bump start very very easy after started will run great idle great.. it does seem slight rich but not bad. right cylinder is at 120 left is 100.. I know 100 is about time for rebuild. but it runs great and idles great . why cant i kickstart it banghead ...it does not have tors and key seems to have been bypassed.. ( i do have title and key not stolen)lol thanks for any ideas you may have.

i pulled the plugs and it had decent spark..? it almost acts like it is floded but bumps so easy i dont think it is

i pulled the plugs and it had decent spark..? it almost acts like it is floded but bumps so easy i dont think it is

ive been wondering about the carbs..i did adjust the floats but it does seem little rich..i do know i can pull the choke up while its running and it doesnt change anything..

We need to know the following to be able to help you..

1. Main jet size

2. Pilot jet size

3. Needle position

4. Air temperature

5. Feet above sea level

6. Any other mods

140 mains

48 pilot

center clip position

1100 ft

no other mods i dont know why the carbs were even put on..i think 34mm

you could also be fighting a bike that just flat out needs a rebuild. Banshees do begin to get harder and harder to start when they lose compression. Since one of your jugs is down on compression then i bet it would make it alot harder to kick start.....however since you still have a strong jug also i bet that aids in helping the bump starts. i know when my buddies cr125 got down to around 90 psi there was no way to kick start it.....had to pull start it everytime.

EITHER WAY......you need to pull that motor down and find out WHY only one of your cylinders lost that compression. I know it would suck seein how you just picked up the bike.......but trust me....its cheeper to pull it down and find the problem now than it is to wait til something bad happens like having a piston skirt break and then do the "cha-cha im gonna stomp your shit down" on your head....that just looks ugly.

you could also be fighting a bike that just flat out needs a rebuild. Banshees do begin to get harder and harder to start when they lose compression. Since one of your jugs is down on compression then i bet it would make it alot harder to kick start.....however since you still have a strong jug also i bet that aids in helping the bump starts. i know when my buddies cr125 got down to around 90 psi there was no way to kick start it.....had to pull start it everytime.

EITHER WAY......you need to pull that motor down and find out WHY only one of your cylinders lost that compression. I know it would suck seein how you just picked up the bike.......but trust me....its cheeper to pull it down and find the problem now than it is to wait til something bad happens like having a piston skirt break and then do the "cha-cha im gonna stomp your shit down" on your head....that just looks ugly.

i agree saves alot of headace and time when you catch the problom before it actually breaks and causes way more damage

i agree saves alot of headace and time when you catch the problom before it actually breaks and causes way more damage

ok hears the story..lol i tore it down today and it is not stock!!!! it has .050 pistons and port job..the left cyl had bad rings ..when i took the jug off the front stud bolt was finger tight so it let the jug move around and chewed up the rings...turns out the onlything stock on the bike were the pipes... thank you all for the ideas and help offered.. i liked taking care of it now and saving cash i just had to a rebuild from the crank up on my other banshee..glad i didnt let this one go.........THANKS AGAIN for all the help