Bottom end over haul

acroadam

This winter I'm sending my engine off to one of hq site sponsors, and gonna do engine over haul. I'm doing this cuz it's 1997 banshee, and my right side crank seal is leaking. While it's apart its gonna get the crank welded, modded shift star, shift shaft spring mod, new bearings etc.. Since it's already apart what would you guys recommend doing? I've heard guys doing 4mill. But I don't think I can budget it this year. I'm just trying to get my engine reliable. Is a 4mill that's expensive to do? Or am I on the right track of just getting my engine overlooked, with new seals, bearings, and making it reliable for years to come? I thought about doing a play/dune port also. Any input? Thanks guys. Adam

The additional cost to upgrade to a 4 mill is well worth it. I think it runs $100 or so more. You just need the head cut or a spacer plate. Then you have to pay an additional like 30-40$ for the crank.

The additional cost to upgrade to a 4 mill is well worth it. I think it runs $100 or so more. You just need the head cut or a spacer plate. Then you have to pay an additional like 30-40$ for the crank.

Ya, but then I would have to buy new pistons. I just bought new pistons, and has a fresh bore, not even 10 hrs on it yet.

Ya, but then I would have to buy new pistons. I just bought new pistons, and has a fresh bore, not even 10 hrs on it yet.

If your crank is good put some new bearings on it, new seals, gaskets, and pressure check it after it's assembled. If your got a little dough left timing plate, cut your head or pro design, maybe some good porting. A good port job on a stock stroke will make way better power than a 4mil, I don't think you are going to want to spend what it takes to build a 4mil the correct way like no spacers,head w/custom domes, pistons, crank, porting,the list can go on and on and that's why most of us are here cause it's like crack....that's what I been hearin'...

Well if your crank is not busted you can just get it welded and replace whatever else is needed. But if you want to port it and get it setup correctly with a hd clutch and either a cut stock head or coolhead you can seriously consider going 4mill.

Building a 4mill is only going to cost you the crank extra. Which will run anything from $300-$450. I'd say most guys on here with 4mills haven't looked back. Just ask a few!

The porting and other mods are going to cost the same more or less. IMO if you have the extra few $$ laying around I'd go for the 4mill.

My cool head 4 mil has alot of miles my brothers stock motor just got a new top end I'm still faster. When you try stock vs 4 mil the power band starts much sooner. So half throttle will do up china wall and stock needs 3/4 to full. I also I'm the first to run out of gas.