Kickstarter

MrDups44

If anyone can help I am having trouble my kickstarter doesnt engage all the time. I tore down my engine I have the clutch cover off. I tried to start it just to see what happens with the cover and what i noticed is the kickstarter gear is jumping past the kick starter idle gear. Now I took the clutch basket off to get to the kick starter idle gear and i noticed it rocks back and forth a little on its shaft so it has alot of play is that normal or is that most likely the problem plz help.

It is common for the bearing in the idler gear to wear out. As long as the gear is OK you can just put a new bearing in it. Be sure to replace the snap ring when you reinstall it as well.

Ok I looked at it again and i found out the oil seal was missing in the front of the kickstart shaft so my guess is thats whats making that gear jump out to far cuz its too much play in the front of that shaft without that oil seal. Please help.

Well without the seal there is nothing to really support the kicker shaft, so it could be part of your problem.

Also to clarify, the idler gear is just a bushing, it does have a tendency to wear out, and when it gets back it will pop the snap ring off and that D washer will get digested by your motor and can cause some problems.

There shouldnt be any play in the idler gear.

I suspect you may have 2 separate problems , but , replace that idler gear , washer, and clip while you have it apart.In time, that idler rear will begin popping off the clip and washer with a chance of creating you some costly repairs.

As for the kick starter..wish I could help. I also have a problem with mine , posted in another thread

Good luck