Spark Arrestor & Sound Options for Shearer Inframes

decon

Im trying to figure out what's the best route I can go to make my shearer's have spark arrestor's and also be quiet. I did some searching and dug up a few threads:

Alba Spark Arrestor Screen (http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67761)

Trinity Spark Arrestor's ? (http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114376)

Custom Sparkys (http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114245)

Out of these three options, im not sure if the trinity spark arrestor will fit the silencers on the shearers. I don't want clamp on sparkys sticking out the back of my bike, and I really dont want to dish out $300 bones for the CSFX silencer but that is the only option that will make my shearer's quiet. The only downfall is they dont come spark arrested. My plan was to use the alba spark arrestor screen in combination with the CSFX silencer? Any thoughts?

Has anyone else been succesful in ether making a spark arrestor or some type of hush kit for the shearer's? How many db's are inframe shearers? Where i ride in the forest they are real strict about the decible level and spark arrestor's.

Jaming a screen in a non spark arrested pipe is not USFS legal. You just as well run nothing because it is the same thing in the eyes of the forest service

Why not? Its the same thing as "jamming" a sparky on the end of a silencer or either modifying them to accept a spark arrestor just like you did, the only difference is the sparky says "usfs approved" on it. Sure the forest service may frown upon it but the screen is usfs approved. I can't find any other way to make my shearer's both quiet AND spark arrested, unless you have any suggestions?

Why not? Its the same thing as "jamming" a sparky on the end of a silencer or either modifying them to accept a spark arrestor just like you did, the only difference is the sparky says "usfs approved" on it. Sure the forest service may frown upon it but the screen is usfs approved. I can't find any other way to make my shearer's both quiet AND spark arrested, unless you have any suggestions?

I dont have any suggestions. Sorry it was more of a rant about pipe mfg's not having any spark arrestor options. It would be nice if the big dune pipe mfg's (Shearer, CPI, ect) would make or have the option for a USFS approved spark arrestor instead of having their customers buy clamp on sparkies that look like crap, or just running nothing at all. Just seems like they could care less and promote (certinly dont discourage) illegal riding.

In order to be 100% legal the silencer has to have the USFS Approved Stamp / Logo along with an approval #. Any thing less is considered non approved and your subject to the good will nature of the officer questioning you.

Besides cramming that screen on the end of the core greatly reduces the surface area in wich exhaust can flow. That causes a big restriction and doesnt take hardly any packing to plug it up.

Trinitys sparkies do not have the USFS approval stamp ethire. I havent had a probem with any rangers where I ride yet but I havent rode that much in the forest since I have originally moddifed them.

If I ever start getting hounded about spark arrestors I would probably just graph on some FMF Turbine Core II silencers on to my CPI stinger tubes. That way it will be 100% legal and the stinger tubes will hook up to the CPI expansion chambers just like they are supose to.

FMF Turbine Core II's probably have one of the best expark arrestors you can get. It is a turbine style that I belive has no screen. A spark arrestor has to ethire catch particles down to a certian size, or break them up in to small enough pieces. I belive fmf's turbine cores spin the exhaust and break particles up by smashing them. I dont think they have any screens inside.

I definately agree with you, it's like you pay all this money for a set of pipes but don't have any type of options or add on's for your silencer. I guess that's why Cascade made the CSFX. Now im not looking to be 100% legal to comply with the USFS regulations, I just want to have some sort of screen in my silencer in case I get checked. I can say the trinity sparkies do look nice on your CPI silencers, I wish they would fit the shearer's.

I called and talked to Cascade before I ordered the silencers and asked them if they had any options for a spark arrestor available and they said no, but he also added their is enough room to possibly modify them for a screen. I got my CSFX silencer's in the mail earlier today and they are pretty huge, they do indeed have enough room for a screen which would not block or restrict any type of flow.

I recently modified my cousin's bike with T5's to work with the FMF Turbine Core 2 Silencers, the left silencer/stringer fit without any modification but the right stinger tube had to be bent to fit. I am sort of partial about running those silencers, I guess im more concerned about looks lol. I think I will play around with my old Shearer silencer's and find an alternative to running the CSFX silencers, I will definately keep this post updated because I know their has to be other people running shearer's that are looking for better spark arrestor setup other than the sparkys.

So here's an update on my CSFX silencer's modified with spark arrestor screens

CSFX Silencer

IMG_0672.jpg

Spark Arrestor screen from Alba

IMG_0673.jpg

Here is the inside of the end cap, there is a groove where the exhaust core fits into. Its a little over an inch wide, and their was just enough room to fit a peice of spark arrestor screen and a washer

IMG_0679.jpg

Here is where I cut the screen to match the size of the fiber washer

IMG_0678.jpg

Here is a picture of how it looks inside the end cap, the washer fits perfect and shouldn't block any exhaust flow

IMG_0676.jpg

Finished Product

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

If the fiberglass washer can't handle the heat of the exhaust I will switch over to a metal or steel washer, I will have to modify it to fit the end cap.

I kind of ran into a little problem. My bike was running real funny so I pulled the caps out and just like you said packing filled around the cone. My question is could I put a spark arrestor screen where the stinger tube and silencer meet instead? Or would that block exhaust flow coming from the head pipes? I'd rather not have it fill up with packing