best gear for drag/trail banshee

FraireRacing

I have a 97 Banshee with stock 64mm bore. I have a paul turner cool head with 18cc domes, T5 pipes , v force reeds and 1/2 in spacers, aluminum Y with a single 39mm kihein carb with 180 main jet and a K&N filter, it has a heavy duty clutch from vitos. That's pretty much it I think.

Anyways I had a 13 tooth sprocket in the front and a 41 in the rear, and it had too much torque which was good in the launch but everyone would catch up and pass me. I had some 18x10 skat extreme paddles with 6 paddles and it would do ok but like i said everyone would catch up. So I went 14 tooth in the front and it was pretty much the same then I went 38 in the back and went with a 13 in the front and it did better in the dirt but sucked in the sand. So I tried a bigger paddle now I have a 20x10 and its the skat haulers with 8 paddles but it bogged my quad down sick ;'( so I was wondering should I go back to a 41 in the back to get the torque bck or what do you guys think? Thanks

are you ported?

what gas are you running?

and you cant turn 20" 8 paddles with 13/38 gearing?

i am thinking your engine isn't set up properly.

I took out my quad on sunday to the dunes was tuning my carb a little more and it moved my 20" 8 paddles pretty dam good. I mean it ran better but not that much better that it would make that much of a difference. So now I'm thinking that it bogged down beacuse of the track prep. They wet and prep the sand not till its mud but till it sits down good and I'm thinking that made a big difference. So what gears should I go with?

Edited by FraireRacing

are you ported or not?

also what gas you running with those small domes.

because personally i think your carb is a little on the big side.

I'm not ported my engine is pretty much stock besides bolt on's, and i'm running 91 octane thats the best we have on pump gas

I had my minukis with 340 jets before i switched over to this single carb set up. And i switched my carbs back and it does run a lot better with my single carb but i'm thinking its my gear set up. cause i still smoke my buddys and their a lot more built then mine. One of them has a 4mill with 66.75 pistons with mimukis and 400 jets and 19cc domes, the other one has a 4mill hidden stroker with 66.50 pistons and is running 400 as well. They both have ported cylenders but i dont know how big it is.

My bike doesn't sputter at all it revs up pretty nice and quick, so I dont think my carb is too big. But when i got to the track it messed me up lol

Edited by FraireRacing

the best gear is one that works well for you. My stock port bike loved 15/41 but im finding now that my dune port setup is wanting 14/41 so it can drag its fat ass up into the powerband easier.

edit: and that carb is huge for that engine. a 33mm or 35mm would be plenty!

ya, 91 octane and 18cc domes on a stock motor isn't good. do you know your PSI? sounds like you should be running race gas.

and since you are not ported, your 39mm carb is way to big. you should be running more like a 33-35mm. i run a 38mm on a ported shee and i am on the big side for mine.

I want to get my cylenders ported but dont kn ow were to send them, and i've been wanting to run race gas but haven't yet

I want to get my cylenders ported but dont kn ow were to send them, and i've been wanting to run race gas but haven't yet

well i think you should put you banshee in the garage get a compression tester and if you compression is over 165psi and you are still running pump gas you should go and hit you head on a wall a couple of times because you can do some serious damage to a motor running to low of octaine. with 18cc domes you have a serious compression ratio.

• 4 months later...

well i think you should put you banshee in the garage get a compression tester and if you compression is over 165psi and you are still running pump gas you should go and hit you head on a wall a couple of times because you can do some serious damage to a motor running to low of octaine. with 18cc domes you have a serious compression ratio.

I was running 93 pump octane and a full quart of lucas oil mix with 5 gal. It ran super like it never ran before. I kept beating my buddys 4 mil and his brothers cub. But i lost compression in one cyl yesterday pulled my carb and reeds off and found some bits of piston from the right side. And when I took the cool head off found out it chipped a piece of piston. ;'(

I was running 93 pump octane and a full quart of lucas oil mix with 5 gal. It ran super like it never ran before. I kept beating my buddys 4 mil and his brothers cub. But i lost compression in one cyl yesterday pulled my carb and reeds off and found some bits of piston from the right side. And when I took the cool head off found out it chipped a piece of piston. ;'(

Detonation...

18cc domes probably need race gas (as you were previously told). 18cc domes on a 4 mil is getting close to alky range. Did you ever run a compression test?

1 quart to 5 gal = 20:1, if it was jetted for less oil, it was lean on fuel as well.

What was your ignition timing? +4 or more?

Detonation...

18cc domes probably need race gas (as you were previously told). 18cc domes on a 4 mil is getting close to alky range. Did you ever run a compression test?

1 quart to 5 gal = 20:1, if it was jetted for less oil, it was lean on fuel as well.

What was your ignition timing? +4 or more?

No i never did a compression test on it and a couple a friends told me to use thar much oil. They kept saying that banshees love a lot of oil. Just to make sure it was the 93 octane. And yeah we had the timing at +5

No, there is nothing wrong with that much oil. However, if it was tuned/jetted for less oil ratio, adding oil will lean the fuel mixture out, increasing chances of detonation.

+5 timing normally would be OK. Advancing timing will usually make it run better. But, more timing also increases chances of detonation.

I stated before that 18cc domes are to small for pump gas, especially on a 4mil stroker. You should do a compression test to be sure. High compression and too low of octane fuel increase chances of detonation.

Anytime you build a motor, you should do a compression test, check squish, and do a leak down test before running it. After all this and getting it running, do a plug chop or two until you are sure everything is good. If you buy a motor or bike already running, it would be wise to do the same thing. A little investment of time will save $$ in the long run.

No, there is nothing wrong with that much oil. However, if it was tuned/jetted for less oil ratio, adding oil will lean the fuel mixture out, increasing chances of detonation.

+5 timing normally would be OK. Advancing timing will usually make it run better. But, more timing also increases chances of detonation.

I stated before that 18cc domes are to small for pump gas, especially on a 4mil stroker. You should do a compression test to be sure. High compression and too low of octane fuel increase chances of detonation.

Anytime you build a motor, you should do a compression test, check squish, and do a leak down test before running it. After all this and getting it running, do a plug chop or two until you are sure everything is good. If you buy a motor or bike already running, it would be wise to do the same thing. A little investment of time will save $$ in the long run.

Mines not a 4mil