Yamaha Banshee Identification - Help needed

Banshee-pile

Hi, i am a new arrival here and i bought a Shhe a couple weeks ago and n am not so certain that that it is the correct year on it and the guy that i bought it from was uncertain to... (got it cheap)

I could use some help to discover year and origin and what else could be extracted from the VIN and engine number. Anyone, help please?

I am based in Sweden, Europe

VIN: JY48GG00080250314X

Engine: 3GG-249818

Please help! :-)

2008, the tenth number of the VIN tells the model year

JY4= Japan, Yamaha, ATV

3GG=Model Banshee, should also tell the displacement but it's not correct

0= Emission Code if 0 it's an internal Yamaha code

0= Non Competition

8= 2008

0=Assembly Plant San Paulo, Brazil

250314= is the Assembly number

The 3GG on the cases means they are Banshee cases and not RZ or whatever the other twin motorcycle motors were.

JY48GG00080250314X

your vin is too long, should only be 17 digits long, yours is 18, check this.

Done it three times already, but as i said i am based in Sweden in Europe so it might be the case we dont have the same coding...?

As i got it JY stands for Japan where it´s been built, and then the rest is greek.. LOL

Any luck on the engine number?

Thanks for trying anyway :-) Much appriciated

If the plastics have not been replaced it has to be 05 or newer since that's when they started offering the all blue banshee. Then again, who knows if the plastics have been replaced.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/banshee/color.aspx

If the plastics have not been replaced it has to be 05 or newer since that's when they started offering the all blue banshee. Then again, who knows if the plastics have been replaced.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/banshee/color.aspx

All blue Banshees started in 1999, 1998 models were available in blue and white. Yamaha put the brake lights on starting with all of the 2002 models in the USA. The original poster needs to figure out if his VIN has 3s or 8s in it in order to figure out what year it is. It could even be an assembled bike with a 03 motor in a 08 chassis.

All blue Banshees started in 1999, 1998 models were available in blue and white. Yamaha put the brake lights on starting with all of the 2002 models in the USA. The original poster needs to figure out if his VIN has 3s or 8s in it in order to figure out what year it is. It could even be an assembled bike with a 03 motor in a 08 chassis.

I couldnt get a proper image since it was to dark yesterday, but i will get it done today. I have also called our local Yamaha center and given him the VIN and engine code and i am waiting for his reply on it. Since the Banshee is made for Swedish market i guess the coding is different than what you guys have in the states.. I have checked and when it comes to cars it´s like that.

I know for a fact that the platsic has never been changed on it so its all original. No rev limiter and no parkingbrake on it either.. Its not roadlegal either.

I will await the aswer from the local Yammi dealer and then i will post the aswrr later. But thank you all for your help.

I am glad i joined you guys, since you all are sitting on important knowledge of the Shees.. Thank you and god bless the two strokes! :-)

Now i have the proper answers (and identification on paper)

The VIN was wrong, we checked it with a bluelight and its supposed to be JY43GG0003250314 with engine number 3GG-249813 so i got a few 8´s mixed up where its supposed to be threes..

The 5SKLYFZ350 was produced in end of 2002 and sold in store 2003 in feb. the engine matches the frame so its all original.

I want to thank you all for your help, much appriciated.

Any pointers on how to get it to runn a bit faster and handle a bit better without spending a fortune? what should be the first to do?

Please write them down in steps.. first step first and so on.. Thank you!

I couldnt get a proper image since it was to dark yesterday, but i will get it done today. I have also called our local Yamaha center and given him the VIN and engine code and i am waiting for his reply on it. Since the Banshee is made for Swedish market i guess the coding is different than what you guys have in the states.. I have checked and when it comes to cars it´s like that.

I know for a fact that the platsic has never been changed on it so its all original. No rev limiter and no parkingbrake on it either.. Its not roadlegal either.

I will await the aswer from the local Yammi dealer and then i will post the aswrr later. But thank you all for your help.

I am glad i joined you guys, since you all are sitting on important knowledge of the Shees.. Thank you and god bless the two strokes! :-)

Are you sure about the parking brake rev limiter as all bikes made after 1997 had them here in the States. The rev limiter is built into the CDI box and the only external clue is a wire going to the park brake part of the clutch lever. But if you have no park brake, then it all might have been removed by the previous owner. And just to clarify things, the funky tops on the carbs are for the TORS system that has NOTHING to do with the rev limiter. It is a Throttle OverRide System that will shut off the motor completely(not limit the revs) if the throttle sticks.