Basic MX shee

DJ LiL Mike

I went on a MX track for the 1st time (Calverton MX) and it beat the crap outta me...had pain that same night and next day. I do want to ride MX more often but i dont want it to beat me out like that. Everything on my banshee is stock except the FMF pipes and got a K&N air filter and RAZR's all around. How can i make the ride smoother? Im tryna get the best bang for the buck. I want to upgrade the whole suspension (at least A-arms, front shocks, and rear axle). I wanna keep the stock length swingarm. Please keep in mind that i am not "racing" but just tryna get a more pleasant ride (and softer landings) from it when on the mx track.

Thanks

-Mike

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is true. Unless you ride MX every weekend, you are going to be sore the next day no matter what your setup is.

However, I feel terribly bad for you if you took a stock suspension banshee on a track. I know that was not pleasant.

If you are just riding for fun, get some aftermarket front shocks and +2 a-arms. Also get a wider axle. The stock rear shock will be fine for a while. I would also reccomend getting a gripper seat cover and some MX tires. Trail tires (especialy fronts) will really wear you out on a MX track in the turns. MX tires are much easier to turn. For me, going from Razr II fronts to razr MX fronts was like going from manual to power steering in a truck.

Thanks for your reply. It was a rough ride, but i just took it slow and made the best of it. and for the suspension, i was thinking exactly that. I was looking at getting +2 A-arms, and a +2 axle. The shocks im not sure about yet as they are the priciest piece of the project. Im looking for something good at a reasonable price. what would you reccommend?

Yfz arms and Shocks, g force adjustable axle, done, less than $500

I put YFZ shocks on one of my Banshees and would do it again in a heart beat! Why are you set on aftermarket?

My A Arms are from Stellar (a site sponsor) and are custom made for the YFZ shocks. Highly recommended!

I don't have any experience with the G Force Axle but it's got to be better than stock.

Get something with reserviours. Since MX is harder on shocks than recreational riding, Id recommend you stay away from works. Yes, they are much better than stock but my experience with works shocks has been bad. They use smaller diameter shafts and I have bent several of them, shocks I bought brand new. I dont know if their shocks hydrolock or what, but works and MX dont mix. This is speaking about their low end models, the steelers.

Id look for a pair of used PEP, Ohlins, Axis or Elka. Those are all great shocks. If you can find a coplete front end,, great, but more than likely you will need to pick up the a-arms and shocks seperate, so the shocks might not be set up for +2 a-arms. You will likely need to send the shocks off to get them set up for you, because have shocks set up for your weight, a-arms and riding level is very important. Matt at So Cal suspension Systems is the best guy to send them to.

If you can afford new shocks, the factory will set them up for you before they ship them. For around $750 you can get Elka stage 3 shocks or PEP ZPS shocks, both are great.

Thanks a lot! Uve been a great help. Now I'll just have to do the research on pricing and see what I can spend.

I put YFZ shocks on one of my Banshees and would do it again in a heart beat! Why are you set on aftermarket?

My A Arms are from Stellar (a site sponsor) and are custom made for the YFZ shocks. Highly recommended!

I don't have any experience with the G Force Axle but it's got to be better than stock.

I'm sure the yfz shocks are decent and all, but how good are they compared to a set of aftermarkets?? Especially for mx?

I raced on a G-Force axle for years with no problems.

Stock YFZ shocks are OK for recreational riding, but if he is going to spend $150-$200 on yfz shocks he may as well spend $250-$350 on a set of GOOD used aftermarket shocks which are 100x better than yfz shocks. There is no reason to get stock YFZ shocks for motocross riding. They would be nothing but a stepping stone between stock banshee shocks and GOOD shocks.

K, cool.

theres no cheap way to really go i use rolldesign arm long travel which you def need to compete they dont have to be rolldesign but i suggest using long travel a good pair of shox is very inportant i use fox x evol and a great sterring stabilizer i use gpr one elka also has one. but the way you will feal after riding it will make up for the money but your looking at 4000 this sport is not cheap to be the best you need the best

theres no cheap way to really go i use rolldesign arm long travel which you def need to compete they dont have to be rolldesign but i suggest using long travel a good pair of shox is very inportant i use fox x evol and a great sterring stabilizer i use gpr one elka also has one. but the way you will feal after riding it will make up for the money but your looking at 4000 this sport is not cheap to be the best you need the best

He said "i am not "racing" but just tryna get a more pleasant ride (and softer landings) from it when on the mx track."

I'm sure the best would give him a great ride but that's not what he needs, not yet anyway...

i can vouch for yfz front shocks with +2 arms. yfz shocks are pretty decent for cheap, and if your smart you can get yfz shocks that are customized and worked on for like $300 that will make it ride really well.

Iv seen some stock yfz dual rate conversions valved and in good shape go for 300-400. thats pretty damn good considering its very difficult to find used banshee shocks that can be used for MX under $500.

I got PEPs on my 250r and I love them but they weren't cheap.