BIKE RAN GOOD, THEN ...

sup

i got my banshee bored out with wiseco pistons (65.50mm)

as soon as i get my cylinders back i cleaned them installed them with new spark plugs fired right up

rode it only thru one and half tank with the ratio 32:1

its only been one week since i received my cylinders back from a company in Florida and installed

now today my banshee fires up earlier i let it warm up and started normal riding

only rode for about 20 mins and i shut the bike off for about one hour

and i tried starting it again and all of sudden it wont start

im thinking the carb is flooded but when i take the carbs off, drain the gas, clean them , install them back and nothing happens

so i bought new spark plugs and that still doesnt work

my friends helped me to try and push start the bike , it will start with open throttle but its bogging off and shuts off (what does that mean ?)

also i noticed before when my bike was running it would smoke on the left muffler alot, i did a compression test and the cylinder that was connected to muffler that smoked alot was 100psi and the other was 125 psi

not to sure whats going on do i need new coils ?

One week on a fresh top end and you're already down 25 psi on the left cylinder? Hate to say but you may as well tear back into it and be prepared to do it all over again. Sounds like something may have gone bad with the rings on the left side. Maybe they got clipped by one or more of the ports in the newly bored jugs?

Switch the plug wires and see if that helps. I'm pretty sure you've got internal damage though. Another thing too, I'm sure you've switched since break-in but 32:1 is pretty stiff if you're using good oil. Most guys run 40:1 including myself, some even run 50:1. That would explain some of the smoke but not all of it I don't think.

Edited by bigblockbanshee

One week on a fresh top end and you're already down 25 psi on the left cylinder? Hate to say but you may as well tear back into it and be prepared to do it all over again. Sounds like something may have gone bad with the rings on the left side. Maybe they got clipped by one or more of the ports in the newly bored jugs?

Switch the plug wires and see if that helps. I'm pretty sure you've got internal damage though. Another thing too, I'm sure you've switched since break-in but 32:1 is pretty stiff if you're using good oil. Most guys run 40:1 including myself, some even run 50:1. That would explain some of the smoke but not all of it I don't think.

this doesnt make any sense i spent like 300 dollars to get a new top end but maybe i just need rings cause its only the compression but yea i think ima go back to 50:1 i only ran 32:1 cause it was break in but first i need to get this bike to start ill switch the wires tomorrow ill keep you guys updated

Edited by ASO-BANSHEE

this doesnt make any sense i spent like 300 dollars to get a new top end but maybe i just need rings cause its only the compression but yea i think ima go back to 50:1 i only ran 32:1 cause it was break in but first i need to get this bike to start ill switch the wires tomorrow ill keep you guys updated

New top end or not, if the rings on the left cylinder got into the walls and scored or gouged them then it'll probably need to be redone or just scrapped if the damage is too bad. Was it a reputable builder or machinist that did them? Reason I ask is because if you leave a sharp edge on the ports from boring the cylinder it could "hang" a ring either bending it which would be bad on the piston/cylinder or break it which would be bad on the whole bottom end. I believe they're supposed to chamfer the ports somewhat after a fresh bore and hone to avoid this. What I'm getting at is the fact that I'm hoping the people that bored your cylinders knew this. This is all just speculation btw. It's hard to diagnose it without being there of course.

Edited by bigblockbanshee

If I understand your comment regarding the oil ratio, you may have that backwards. 50-1 is less oil than 32-1. If you run 32-1 you use 4 ounces per gallon. 50-1 you use 2.56 ounces per gallon.

I run 32-1 on alcohol and 40-1 for gas.

I just read your post again. Sorry, I think you know what's going on. Long day!

The bottom line is you have a 25 psi difference in your top end and that is why it won't start. Did you PROPERLY break it in? You are going to need to pull your head and inspect your cylinders. I would say you should do a leak down test but from your desription you either won't know how or won't have a tester.

so a bike can only start when the psi both reads 125psi ? this doesnt make any sense cause it ran earlier and before i did a rebuild my psi was 60 and 90 and was running

and big block i will inspect the cylinder , what should i look for ? damaged rings ?

im going to do all of this right now and also check if i have spark

and yes i followed the proper break in

Edited by ASO-BANSHEE

i sent my cylinders to summit offroad company in florida who bore cylinders and hone just like the sponsors http://www.summitoffroad.net/id4.html

but i feel like my problem is my carbs are flooding and idk why it would keep flooding

well for carbs either the floats stick or they are set wrong. are they pouring gas out the overflow tubes? shut the gas off and see if it will start. if there is no supply there can be no flooding. might still take a few kicks to clean the extra fuel out though.

I sent my cylinders to them a while back and mine did the same thing yours did. When I took it apart I had broke a ring on the left side and the right side was skard up bad. Because of them I had to buy new top end kit and cylinders.