Sand Prep

BrockMoto

The hq ride will be my first time to any dune... Is there anything I need to do to protect my shee that I may not have for normal riding? No air box but have outerwears... Anything else? And do I need a sticker to ride the park?

You have to prep a bike MUCH LESS for the dunes, than you would for trails/mud/everything else.

need a flag but i'd say buy it at the dunes get teh ones with the spring on the bottom bring more money than you think you will need. other than that

paddles, change the oil, new plugs, check out the bike general maintenance adn ride the hell out of it..

you should really go out the first time with someone who has been around, anbd for the love of god NEVER go flying off a drop off if your not sure whats on the other end. also only jump dunes with a spotter.

take some time to explore the area, Sometimes following veterans can take you in trails or sections you aren't able to do or your bike can't handle. Otherwise I recommend cleaning all the grease and shit off of your engine before you go. It just a shitload of sand buildup on your bike after wards.

Do you suggest me trying to get down ahead of time or just hooking up with a few hq veterans on the first few runs? And do said drop offs sneak up on you?

When u go out to the "bigger" dunes, you DONT wanna just stay in the throttle once u get to the top cuz they may be steep and well you can imagine what happens if ya stay in the throttle.

Here's a fine example:

If you plan on hitting the dunes regularly i would purchase a metal whip (flag) because flags break. you need a orv sticker for your bike and your truck (if you take your truck in the sand, which you will need a flag for that also) there is also a safety course they are putting in place which requires riders to carry the card on them. the course takes a couple hours online. I havent seen the po po's enforcing the law yet but they can. Like everyone else says, be careful coming up to peaks of dunes and dont go down a blind slope until you look at it first. I have an amber lens in my goggles which help greatly. bump on the "bring more money than you think you need". Other than that, rip it up!

I dont know what you ride on, but you may need to re gear the bike alittle depending on how soft the sand is where your going, from dirt to paddles and sand is a big diff.

• 3 weeks later...

WD-40 your chain before rides , if you can clean it after you get done for the day its a good idea . I ride the dunes at the ocean , we cross little creeks all the time and the salt water is hell on a bike , wash that bastard really well with fresh water as soon as you can . You can never have enough light , If you go out at night you want to be visible . along with my lights , I zip tie a few red glow sticks to my frame and whip flag . It gets hot out there , and generally there is no shady spot to take a relax at . I ride with a fox backpack/camel bak , we ride for hours at a time and the water and a couple snacks is nice to have . I have a pair of Metal Mulisha OTB riding pants that the lower legs zip off so if it gets stupid hot I can strip down to shorts . I highly suggest a wadd of paper towels , cause you know , and it sucks to ride all the way back trying to flex your cheeks and keep from painting the seat . I've been lost in the dunes at night , it sucks . I have a GPS in my pack , my riding spots I've mapped during the day and have them stored so if it ever happends again I at least have a fighting chance , there is still always the chance of riding down a dune into a lake , or dropping off a razorback . If you do ride at night take a hoodie , and be prepared to spend the night out there . It could be due to getting lost , or just a break down .

The dunes are so fucking rad , I have trails , hillclimbs , drag racing all in one place , can't beat it and usually the babes are happy to get down and dirty and party out there . It is its own little world .

you wont need GPS for LS you wont want a steel whip ( old school 1980's BS) for the sand just get the glass one with the SPRING.

i wouldnt wd-40 the chain all the time it sill get sand all over it. just what you want sand STUCK to yoru chain..

that vid is AWESOME its a PERFECT example of what happens just think if he had a bike with some power.. that would have been a LOT worse.. i cannot believe it was still running at the bottom.. i'd highly SUGGEST a helmet no matter where you go. even pit cruising in the golfcart with us at least can get hairy!

Wd-40 before you ride in the sand , it works just fine for us , easier clean up at the end of the day . adds protection from the sand as well . Now if you use a heavy grease based lube , then you'll have a sand magnet for a drive chain . Good luck cleaning that shit up .