Need help diagnosing a problem

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to say that you are lean on the left cylinder, and it's probably from a leaking base gasket, reed cage gasket, or a torn, and/or leaking intake. Being lean will cause hard starting issues, and a power loss.

that does bring up another thing it will do time to time. itll start revving way high on its own, and ill hit the killswitch and it almost acts like its dieseling and running hot and combusting on its own with no speark, then will snap out then die.

ok i tore into my shee today. pulled the motor as i was going to check the top end gaskets. pulled motor out, and pulled the head off...not happy with what i found. i now know why my left cylinder was acting up. something let go in the left cylinder. shrapnel all over the piston, and head. but the right (good) cylinder looked brand new...took jugs off, and found something cracked the rings on the left cylinder then welded them in to where they werent allowing compression to be made, as they were stuck in the grooves, and broken in a few places. once again right side was perfect. left jug has some really bad gouge marks. so atleast i know why its acting up, but now i need to know why it did this...hers some pics of what i found

also i know i said it was a 20 over earlier, i just looked the piston numbers up again, their actually 1.50 over....and would have created a 375cc displacment. i wish it ran good enough for me to ride it more than 5 minutes and really know what this bike was about....now i am at stage one again and starting over :(

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

006-1.jpg

right cylinder

004.jpg

003.jpg

Edited by SteveCZ28

It's ugly, but fixable. Hopefully the crank isn't hurt. You should go ahead and tear the bottom end apart, and check the crank, bearings, and seals. It's hard to say what caused the problems, without tearing it down further.

ive never tore a bottom end of a motor like this down before. good thing i have a clymers manual. ill attempt to tear down, and im thinking it would be smart to put new bearings/seals in down there just to eliminate that from a possible cause. i did kinda wiggle/rattle the rod on the left cylinder. it doesnt have any play or slop in it, so hopefully its good

I posted this on another thread, but I had the weld break out of my welded crank and tore my cases, piston and dome up. Take a magnet and see if there are any metal pieces stuck in your head or piston.

i just checked it. most of the little pieces are not magnetic. but there are 2 bigger chunks that are. they almost look like a chunk of a ring tho