Need help diagnosing a problem

im just completly out of ideas on my shee and am really close to selling it. so i thought i would get on here in a last hope kind of deal on hoping to figure this out. ill bring you up to speed on my deal. i found a 1992 banshee with a 03 motor and plastics. got a good deal on it so i thought i would take a crack at it. the previous owner told me he was in the process of doing a top end in it. claims he bored the top end 20 over. i got it home tore the top end apart looked up numbers on the pistons and they are indeed 20 over wiseco pistons. had no run time on them at all. so over a period of 3 months i got some little odds and ends here, and finally went to start it. got it to start, but would only run on the right cylinder.

wrenched and wrenched, and found out the left dead cylinder was cracking my delta 3 reeds, which got really expensive really quick buying replacement petals. wrote delta, and they had told me that its getting too much fuel or excess pressure in bottom end. i found the crank vent was clogged, cleaned it out and now got the left cylinder to pop every once in a while, but was still cracking reeds. a friend of mine reccomended switching the carb from the right to put on theleft and vice versa. kicked it, and it now ran on the left cylinder and was dead on the right

so i got on ebay and got a new used set of carbs, put them in, and it would run on both cylinders if the choke was on halfway all the time. if i shut the choke off the left cylinder would once again go dead. so thats where im at today. still dead on left cylinder unless i run it with half choke, but when trying to ride on half choke it doesnt have very much power. so if i sht choke off and keep throttle bout half way both cylinders fire and she runs hard as hell, but if i let off the throttle at all, it goes dead on left cylinder and chugs and bogs really bad.

i tried switching reeds out for a set of stock reeds with boyeson petals, and stil have same problem. im out of ideas on this thing, and dont know what to do at all. the guy i got the carbs from said he had it jetted for toomy t5's which i have, and also k&n filters, which i also have. i dont know a ton about the jetting, as i havent disassembled the carbs to confirm. also when i mess with the air mixture screw it doesnt seem to affect how the left cylinder runs at all.....thats where you guys come into play. i know this is a rather long read, but im just about done with this thing and about to part it out, but wanna give it one last shot, hoping it could be something i could still fix rather easily, instead of kicking my own butt down the road

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remove your pipes and carbs and do a leakdown test. Then while the carbs are off, take them completely apart one at a time and clean everything, check the float setting and reassemble. You want to do them one at a time because the float bowls are different from the left to the right, you should probably verify that you have the correct float bowl on each carb, some one else will need to chime in which one goes where. When you put them back on, you will need to do a proper sync and full adjustment of the mixture and idle speed. Are you running stops on your reed cages? I had that problem when I put Boyesen petals on my stock cages that had been ported, when I put the stock stops back on the problem went away.

Remove your pipes and carbs and do a leakdown test. Then while the carbs are off, take them completely apart one at a time and clean everything, check the float setting and reassemble. You want to do them one at a time because the float bowls are different from the left to the right, you should probably verify that you have the correct float bowl on each carb, some one else will need to chime in which one goes where. When you put them back on, you will need to do a proper sync and full adjustment of the mixture and idle speed. Are you running stops on your reed cages? I had that problem when I put Boyesen petals on my stock cages that had been ported, when I put the stock stops back on the problem went away.

yes the stock cages still have their stops on them. how exactly do i do a leak down test. and what am i looking for here?

I didn't see anywhere in the story where you checked the spark on that cyl. Check all the connections, maybe swap the plug wires around. Get new plugs (yes occasionally a plug can go bad). See if there is a local banshee owner from here that can halp as well. I know how frustrating things can et, but don't give up! good luck and keep us posted.

I didn't see anywhere in the story where you checked the spark on that cyl. Check all the connections, maybe swap the plug wires around. Get new plugs (yes occasionally a plug can go bad). See if there is a local banshee owner from here that can halp as well. I know how frustrating things can et, but don't give up! good luck and keep us posted.

yes i check spark time to time on it. it has spark evertime i check. swapped wires, does the same thing, and the plugs are brand spanking new out of the box. im the only guy around with a banshee, that i know of atleast

Look at the pinned up top for the leakdown test! It tells how to build one for cheap and how to use it. Now for the reed breaking...make sure the window on the piston skirt can be seen through the intake. I'm sure it sounds far fetched but ya never no. From what I read up top you just removed the head to make sure it was .20 over! Also if the carbs are not in sync that will wreak havoc!

Look at the pinned up top for the leakdown test! It tells how to build one for cheap and how to use it. Now for the reed breaking...make sure the window on the piston skirt can be seen through the intake. I'm sure it sounds far fetched but ya never no. From what I read up top you just removed the head to make sure it was .20 over! Also if the carbs are not in sync that will wreak havoc!

i actually tore the completle top end off. checked the pistons, rings skirts, cylinders, and ports before i ever tried to start it, just to confirm everything. everything was indeed fresh when i got it....yes i can see the skirt thru the intake

Have u checked compression? What head is on it and have u checked the head gasket if stock or o rings if its a coolhead. I would pull the carbs apart and clean and or put kits in them. Think about that leakdown test as well. A bad seal on the crank well cause this. If you hit the filter with a small spray of starting fluid will it fire right up when cold? Lot of potential causes for this problem. And, if you can kick that thing a hundred and fifty times, your a bad ass.

Have u checked compression? What head is on it and have u checked the head gasket if stock or o rings if its a coolhead. I would pull the carbs apart and clean and or put kits in them. Think about that leakdown test as well. A bad seal on the crank well cause this. If you hit the filter with a small spray of starting fluid will it fire right up when cold? Lot of potential causes for this problem. And, if you can kick that thing a hundred and fifty times, your a bad ass.

tried to check compression but the tester was being dumb and wouldnt hold the pressure long enough to check it. head is a stocker, and it has a new head gasket. i might dig into the carbs. ill admit i kinda get worried when messing with jets. im fine with the floats and pins and what not.i did set the needles to the 2nd notch fro the top, so 2nd from the leanest it can be i believe. i still dont know how to do the leak down test on it, or how to mak the tester as was mentioned earlier in this thread by another poster. it does fire up instantly with some spray thru the carbs. yea i kick it soo many times i get a head ache...although i might try just pushing and pop starting it. or have a friend pull me behind my 3 wheeler.

can u give me a link, im not seeing this topic u speak of