Stop the forest service.....

The forest service Is tring to take more area away from rides, For no reason in my eyes, there is plenty of forest to protect, they need to get out of the dunes if all they can do is collect money and shut down area. Some how these idiots have ruined the sand dunes, and now they want more. http://www.dunercentral.com/forums/ohv-news/4501-oregon-dunes-closures.html sign the petition, send a email to anyone important, it time we put a stop to the huggers before they take it all.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I signed. i`m not from your area but we have scum that are building a park. they are taking 6500 acre of out back yards.

The forest service is a problem everywhere my friend, it funny that they were put in control of these areas to manage them, and instead of managing they start taking area away, im sure that was not the idea when they were brought in to manage these areas, enviormentalist have been hired by the forest service and are now using it to take riding areas away for what? to protect the sand? the people need to step up and end it before we dont have a chance.

The other side of the argument is you have bone headed dumb a55's giving your riding area away by not being responsible. It never fails. People will be drag racing through camp when they have acres and acres of riding room to do all the dicking around they could ever possibly want to do.

They have no problem taking drinks out but cannot seem to be bothered by bringing the can or bottle back..

I wonder how many people here are members of an ATV club. If nothing else you membership helps suport a cause that you should care about. I am sure they would apprecate some help when they have work days to help maintain riding areas.

Edited by jbooker82

The travel management plan has been going on for a couple of years now. It hasn't been an overngiht process. The federal government is requiring detailed maps of riding areas, and trails on public land so they can be cataloged. Part of the process is determining what stays open, what isnt a designated riding area, and where can the riding area be expanded to. Once the final plan is set good luck getting new riding areas or trails opened. There will have to be environmental studies done to see what impact it would have on vegitation and wild life.

NOHVA (Nebraska Off Highway Vehicle Association) has had several meetings with the USFS regarding riding area's and trail systems here in nebraska. That way there is input from the people who will be using the new dedicated trail system. Your not going to get 100% your way. Compromises will have to be made.

For people to just come along as sign a petition is a day late and a dollar short. They are already out of the loop, and had no input on the initial plan. Those people who disagree should have been around when the planing and discussing was going on. No one is going to keep your riding areas open for you. You going to have to do it your self.

you can try, but at the end of the day, money talks and they have more than us.

we have 1 dedicated riding spot and its the dunes. all bush/forrest trails are off limits.

what pisses me off, is when they say you cant ride there to save the forrest/bush, yet in a few months/years they level the place and build shit on there anyway ???

you just gota ride faster than the popo haha..

I know I am just saying that there is a lot of work that goes in to keeping your riding areas open, and it takes nothing to close it.

I just think that everyone who owns a ATV that rides on public land should at least be a member of their local or state atv club. If nothing else the membership fee will go twards fighting to keep your riding spots maintained and open.

agree 100%. and people are pigs, they leave all their rubbish and as you say, for some reason always race up and down the main entrance or road !! haha why do people do this ? !

i hope they look after you guys for riding areas. We have way passed that point here, your just not allowed to ride anywhere. they are trying to get more tracks around here, but nothing beats a free ride i reckon, pointing into a direction and riding it.

I work for US forest service, and it always amazes me how quick people are to criticize an agency that provides so many recreational opportunities all over the country. I have never been out that way, so I cant comment on this particular incident in question.

I live and work in NC. Right on the border or NC/TN there is the Nantahala national forest, who USED to offer many miles of OHV trails. It was THE place to take your rock crawling buggies and jeeps. The trails were technical and rocky in a mountainous terrain. People drove from states away to enjoy these trails.

Then, after years, the US forest service closed these trails. There was a long drawn out battle between the forest service and the Souther 4WD Assocoiation. The SFWDA claimed that that the trails did not need to be closed, but that reroutes were possible solutions and only partial closures were needed. I watched in my local 4x4 forum as person after person bashed the forest service for closing these trails for "no reason." I own a rock crawling truck and I love going out on the trails. As a member of the SFWDA and other off road clubs, I listened to both sides of this story for a long time.

Then, on a work trip, I got my chance to actually visit the Tellico after the closure. I saw the trails, and they were in terrible shape and should have been shut down years ago. Sedimentation in the local trout streams were unbelievable. Reroutes were not an option because of rare plant species and the steep topography. That forest will never be the same due to the damage OHVs did to it. Those trails are never going to heal and water quality has been forever damaged in the local tributaries, so has amphibian and fish life.

The point Im trying to make is that its easy to bash an organization when the only headlines you see about it are the negative ones. You dont hear about it when the US Forest Service aquires 300,000 acres from private land owners with the intent to build recreation facilities. It happens all the time. You only see the negatve news because thats what people in this sport feed on. We should all be glad that the US forest still exists under the department of agriculture. If something were ever to happen to the forest service, and we were turned over to the national park service, you can kiss all OHV trails and riding areas good by. Remember, the NPS has a goal to preserve and the US forest service has a goal to conserve. Conservation allows sustainable timber harvest and motorized vehicle recreation.

Look, Im talking about the oregon dunes, dunes that my friends and I have rode since we were 5-6 years old, trails that look the same as they did 10-15 years ago, witch at the last meeting we showed pictures that there is more vegitation then there was in 1985, As in the same breath the forest service lady said they were WORSE.... You and i say YOU cause you work for the forest service, Have already cut the camping in the dunes back to where half the people that use to come dont cause there is nowhere to camp. Witch in turn hurts everyone in the area in the wallet. now you want to take more. There is no river that is being ruined, ITS SAND... We should be thankful? I use to go ride and camp anywhere i could set up a tent and enjoy the dunes that are in my back yard, now i have to try to beat everyone else to get a spot online when there is not enough, like this weekend i cant go camp cause all the spots are spoken for. Sure there are bad seed but there are everywhere. Every year they try to take more area away with some excuse, When does it stop? these are the peoples sand dunes, and me and my kids and there kids should get to enjoy it..

The other side of the argument is you have bone headed dumb a55's giving your riding area away by not being responsible. It never fails. People will be drag racing through camp when they have acres and acres of riding room to do all the dicking around they could ever possibly want to do.

They have no problem taking drinks out but cannot seem to be bothered by bringing the can or bottle back..

I wonder how many people here are members of an ATV club. If nothing else you membership helps suport a cause that you should care about. I am sure they would apprecate some help when they have work days to help maintain riding areas.

Sure there are idiots that dont clean there shit up, and i dont see it in coos bay but im sure there are people racing threw camps in other areas, but that happens on the streets every day, do we shut down roads and freeways because of it? NO. Give them tickets and leave the masses alone.

I know I am just saying that there is a lot of work that goes in to keeping your riding areas open, and it takes nothing to close it.

I just think that everyone who owns a ATV that rides on public land should at least be a member of their local or state atv club. If nothing else the membership fee will go twards fighting to keep your riding spots maintained and open.

Well i dont know about your area, but the oregon dunes didnt need any work to to ride in 15 years ago, you just went rode and had a good time, just like you should be able to now, there is plenty of rainforest to save somewhere else.