Dont Hate Me Because...

i have never heard of aprilla before im curious how do one of those 250 2 stroke street bikes compare to a regular 600 crotch rocket?

The Ape 250 has mid 60's hp with 90% of power from 9k to 12.5k. Modern 600's are in the 100hp range with a much broader spread. The difference is power to weight ratio and the Aprilia 250 has handling just a notch or two under the true 250GP bikes, (tz250...)

A well set up Aprilia rs250 can run with bigger diesel bikes on the right roads, just as long as there are no long straights.

And yeah, the TSS servo actuated pv's are nice but work only on the TSS engines, the blade shape is made for their 500's

Pete

The Ape 250 has mid 60's hp with 90% of power from 9k to 12.5k. Modern 600's are in the 100hp range with a much broader spread. The difference is power to weight ratio and the Aprilia 250 has handling just a notch or two under the true 250GP bikes, (tz250...)

A well set up Aprilia rs250 can run with bigger diesel bikes on the right roads, just as long as there are no long straights.

And yeah, the TSS servo actuated pv's are nice but work only on the TSS engines, the blade shape is made for their 500's

Pete

I thought the TSS engine is just a cheeta pv cylinder.

if you already have all the RZ stuff why not a pv'd rz motor? maybe just go to a 4 mill with a cut head. OR 350 with exstensive porting and case matched and more ignition work. larger carbs will help also. then you can atleast get all the motor mounted and set up and kinda see what you like the rx head is taller so a taller motor might still fit after you ahve modded everything else..

or even a 421cc stock cylinder or ported serval. the pipes i think are going to be a major hold back on the serval, cub etc to get that kind of power takes a certain pipe and that large chamber desin is going to be a bear to fit in the chassis..

i also agree a large bore street bike has huge broad power for the street nothing like a cub..

the TSS guys say that the blade is their own design. but i dont know that it wount fit a std cheeta. i dont feel like paying the thousands it would take to get that pv set up over here to try it. it is an amazing thing for the cheeta thats for sure!!

if you already have all the RZ stuff why not a pv'd rz motor? maybe just go to a 4 mill with a cut head. OR 350 with exstensive porting and case matched and more ignition work. larger carbs will help also. then you can atleast get all the motor mounted and set up and kinda see what you like the rx head is taller so a taller motor might still fit after you ahve modded everything else..

or even a 421cc stock cylinder or ported serval. the pipes i think are going to be a major hold back on the serval, cub etc to get that kind of power takes a certain pipe and that large chamber desin is going to be a bear to fit in the chassis..

i also agree a large bore street bike has huge broad power for the street nothing like a cub..

Cam, I have already mounted one of my rz 350 engine in the chassis, welded in the mounts, ect... Yes I could run the rz engine in it, it's a highly ported, ign advanced, big carb engine with around 70-75hp. This set up, even with the pv's, is very peaky.

I'm leaning toward a modified serval set up for this bike. I want very linear power starting low, with 90ish rwhp max.

Pipes will be custom made to fit the chassis. Remember, I only have one rear wheel!!!

TSS makes a very nice servo actuated pv set up but they are made for their own 500 engines. The blade design is tailored for them exclusively.

My engine guy has some SIMs graphs showing around 110rwhp using a tweaked serval set up. His SIMs are usually only off by a few hp so we'll see where this leads.

Thanks Man

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies guys, this will be a street/track day bike. Thus the need for usable "street power". The Aprilia rs250's came stock with a "re-branded" Suzuki based 250cc 2T engine putting out about mid 60's HP.

So far the general consensus seems to be to go with a bigger displacement PV engine to get the lower end power. Really didn't want to have to go with the pressure activated PV's, but seems to be no way around it. Servals seemed to be the way to go at first glance, but I don't think they will give the power numbers up top that I'm looking for.

Keep it coming fellas, tell me what you think. Ballpark price on 10mil Cheetah with PV's, intake, carbs, crank... Everything 'cept for pipes????

Thanks Again

Pete

fyi i really enjoy how my twister billets work for that same reason. they come on alot sooner than cubs and are not PVed. pretty stong through out the band and that was with a bolt on btw. no extra prt work. i dont know when this was posted just thought id share

• 2 months later...

Hey Pete, got a status update for us?

I've got my 4 mil serval kit coming in the mail tomorrow, will hopefully be dropping that into my pseudo-TZ project in the next month or so. I haven't yet seen another example of a serval in a street bike, anxious to know how it rides. My primary concern is that even with its much improved power band, it'll still be more than enough to set off a wicked high side if the power kicks on mid corner. Only one way to know... :)

Btw, please shoot me a note if you've got an RZ tranny you can part with - for now I'm just going to run the banshee tranny, but the ratios aren't the best.

As per what Bwells3 said have a look here http://www.twostrokeshop.com/ they do some insane shit right here in good ol Australia. Location might be a issue thou, Not sure were you are located..

Yeah, like this!

Wheat

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Pete, got a status update for us?

I've got my 4 mil serval kit coming in the mail tomorrow, will hopefully be dropping that into my pseudo-TZ project in the next month or so. I haven't yet seen another example of a serval in a street bike, anxious to know how it rides. My primary concern is that even with its much improved power band, it'll still be more than enough to set off a wicked high side if the power kicks on mid corner. Only one way to know... :)

Btw, please shoot me a note if you've got an RZ tranny you can part with - for now I'm just going to run the banshee tranny, but the ratios aren't the best.

Guys, no updates as of yet, my chassis is ready to go, I am looking to buy a serval right now, just waiting to hear back from a couple of guys on a set of custom pipes to fit the bike, you guys know any good pipe builders??

Thanks

Pete

Guys, no updates as of yet, my chassis is ready to go, I am looking to buy a serval right now, just waiting to hear back from a couple of guys on a set of custom pipes to fit the bike, you guys know any good pipe builders??

Thanks

Pete

It's a complicated problem though bc you're going to either want it to be someone local-ish so they can fit to the bike, or you're going to want your pipe builder to supply your pipes in pieces so final fitting can be done by you or a local welder if you're not the welding sort. I don't know of any pipe builders close to you.

Cool that you're going the serval route. What size? I just got my 4 mil serval a couple weeks ago from M&M for my motorcycle project. I'm going to do some test runs of the bike with the trail-ported stock stroke/bore motor that's in there, then rebuild with the serval.

Anyway, take care, keep us posted.