Need advice on carbs, and exhaust after installing 4 mill from stock.

Sending my cylinders to HJR tomorrow. Getting the 4 mill, coolheads, porting. I'm curious though as to a good mid pipe. Kevin told me a good mid pipe are pro circuits, and I'm now contemplating getting rid of the SST's I have for a set of PCs. Here's the problem.. I really really love the SST pipes. They seemed to be an amazing pipe for my ride style and pulled like hell. My buddies banshee has a fresh rebuild, and it's stock with nothing but exhaust. He's got a set of Gold series (original) and I can take him in a drag and through the woods with 93 lbs of compression. lol. Anyways, I don't want to ditch what I'm getting from my SST's for a set of PCs that might now be what I want. I want a good mid pipe, as most of my riding is done on the trails.

How's the bike going to come out with SST porting vs PC porting? Also, will I be able to use powercore silencers on the PCs? or are they not going to match up?

Carb question..

Can I use stock carbs on this bike after it's rebuild?

+4 timing

Porting to SST exhaust/PC

Coolhead

4 mill

Or do I need to upgrade my carbs?

Thanks.

Edited by figuare9

Pro Circuits are by far my favorite low-mid pipe...and they pull hard on top as well. But pipes are like oil, everyone has there own preference. I've always ran CPI's are they run awesome on mid.

Stock carbs will run up to about 65-75HP. My buddy runs a Wildcard 4mil with stock carbs and CPI's and it runs very very strong. I'm at 5000FT so big carbs aren't a must here IMO, but down lower I'm sure you would get the most from your motor with some 33PWK's or 34Mikuni's. But to answer your question, yes you can use stock carbs. Kevin would by far be the best person to tell you exactly what would run the best on that motor since he is building it.

Thanks. Yeah I just wanted to hear some opinions about the pipes, and see what everyone else thought about the carbs. I don't really have the money for the new exhaust, let alone new carbs. but I'm still considering it. It's weird, seems like I can dump more money into the shee then I make. It's like magic...

Can a set of pro circuits run on the power core silencers? or do I need to get a full exhaust? How much are carbs runnin anyways for a set of 33/34s?

i got a 4 mill from hjr and he does great wor completely satisfied with it. that being said i was told i would b able to run stock carbs but once i got it back together i kept having an issue at WOT i thot it was electrical cuz no matter wat i changed my jetting to it wud have the same issue, turns out my float bowl was runnin dry. i ended up getting a set of 35mm pwk's and cured the problem right up. so i would definantly get new carbs so you dnt get frustrated like i did haha, ur gonna love the work from kevin!

I have also got motor work done from Kevin and it is awesome. You already have after market pipes you are happy with so get Kevin to port it for them. It will be cheaper to upgrade your stock carbs instead, to what size Kevin recommends. Then you will have pipes and carbs to go with your motor without spending too much cash. Good luck on your build!

well i guess since i actually have ran both sets of pipes on the same motor

thge pc's dont have as much overrev as an sst does, i know its going to cause a lil stirr here. but its true the sst's are an excellent pipe just like others out there its a continuation development wise for FMF.

the sst silencers wont fit on any other pipe the pipes shape and length is differnt than any oter pipe and the connection for the silencers is farther back due to the sst's special design.. you probably wont be impressed over changing pipes from sst to the PRO's both are a great general pipe.. sst's also respond very good to higher port timings than most builders would think..

i'd suggest 32/34mm lectrons or 36mm HV lectrons..

with carbs you will need intakes, cable adn possibly filter changes pr modding the stock air box..

i got a 4 mill from hjr and he does great wor completely satisfied with it. that being said i was told i would b able to run stock carbs but once i got it back together i kept having an issue at WOT i thot it was electrical cuz no matter wat i changed my jetting to it wud have the same issue, turns out my float bowl was runnin dry. i ended up getting a set of 35mm pwk's and cured the problem right up. so i would definantly get new carbs so you dnt get frustrated like i did haha, ur gonna love the work from kevin!

i have ran stock carbs on 421 cubs with no prooblems jetting wise.. they do take 410-430 main jets tho.. some porting wants really big jets other porting likes smaller ones..

Like I said on the phone I would stay with the SST pipes and stock carbs. It will run hard. No reason to trade one set of pipes for another. The stock carbs will run just fine. You will have plenty of power. You can always upgrade later if you want to.

Great. Well I appreciate everyone's input. I'm going to stick with the SST's for now. Thanks for all the replies. And thanks kevin for replying. Little weird talking to you on the phone and seeing your reply in my forum topic. Nice not gettin dicked around, and having closer communication with the guy doing the work I'm paying him for. I was going to do a completely stock rebuild, but when I found this site I started rippin the shee apart and sending parts across the US for porting. This site is evil.