Rebuilding sons' 99, Opinions wanted

I've been out of the Banshee game for a bit. I need to rebuild my youngest sons' top end and started compiling a list of the parts I need/want. Let me know what I need/don't need please. The bike is stock with stock carbs, T-5's and a cool head with 20's. So far I have on my list:

Magnetic drain plug

weiscos

bore

cool head o-ring kit

base gaskets

advanced timing plate

lightned flywheel (Needed? I figured since I was taking care of the timing plate this would be good. Is it worth it?)

silencer packing

radiator hoses (It's a 99 with 99 hoses)

V-force II reed pedals (I would spring the extra hundred bucks ONLY IF the VF III's are that much better than the II's, opinions please)

modified shift star

exhaust 0-rings

case saver

brakes

tires (Front and rear)

Thanks

I've been out of the Banshee game for a bit. I need to rebuild my youngest sons' top end and started compiling a list of the parts I need/want. Let me know what I need/don't need please. The bike is stock with stock carbs, T-5's and a cool head with 20's. So far I have on my list:

Magnetic drain plug

weiscos

bore

cool head o-ring kit

base gaskets

advanced timing plate

lightned flywheel (Needed? I figured since I was taking care of the timing plate this would be good. Is it worth it?)

silencer packing

radiator hoses (It's a 99 with 99 hoses)

V-force II reed pedals (I would spring the extra hundred bucks ONLY IF the VF III's are that much better than the II's, opinions please)

modified shift star

exhaust 0-rings

case saver

brakes

tires (Front and rear)

Thanks

If you have V-Force II reeds, go with them and get new pedals if needed. Going from VF2 to VF3 isn´t worth the money.

In my opinion lightned flywheel is not needed.

You may need some new gaskets also between reed cages and cyl´s.

Is the clutch OK?

How about TORS elim. kit?

Sprockets and chain? .... I know that these has nothing to do with the top end rebuild - just asking.

-Pasi S.

Edited by Pasi S.

Port the stock cages an use some Boyseen power petals, no magnetic drain plug, heard of magnet comin off andfuckin motor up and no lightened flywheel..Not worth it. Radiator hoses should still be good.

Port the stock cages an use some Boyseen power petals, no magnetic drain plug, heard of magnet comin off andfuckin motor up and no lightened flywheel..Not worth it. Radiator hoses should still be good.

Yes, unless you see something wrong with the hoses they should be OK. My 89 still has the original hoses on it, Yamaha makes good hoses and seals. You don't need the magnetic plug as most of what will be in the oil is clutch plate material that is non-magnetic. If you have metal in the oil, a magnetic plug is not going to save anything. Lightened flywheels are great if you are a light rider on a drag bike, but if you are not a light guy or you use the bike for anything else you want the heavy flywheel so the bike will not die if you get off the powerband. What do the chain and sprockets look like? And the one thing everybody should buy for their Banshee is a service manual.

Thanks fellas. Keep em coming. Sprockets all look good, chain is fairly new. Bike already has VF II's, I was just wondering if the III's were worth the extra money. I guess I'm gonna ditch the lightned fly wheel and magnetic drain plug and keep the hoses. The bike is actually in great shape, I bought it new and it has always been stored inside. Clutch is a FAST setup a season or so old. Still on the fence about the TORS eliminator kit. What's a pancake bearing and what's it for? Anyway thanks again, keep the suggestions coming.

the pancake bearing goes on the center clutch adjustment,and keeps the clutch push rod from welding its self to the ball bearing. they are a very good upgrade for around 40 bucks.

Exactly. And if your doing a shift star, you might as well do your pancake bearing while its right there. I got mine from Brandon at Wildcard.....for 40 bucks its worth the piece of mind. I've heard its an expensive fix it the stocker welds itself.

What about a Chariot billet impeller? still running a stocker?

Don't forget to specify wrist pin bearings when you order the pistons. Oddly enough,they don't automatically come with them. That's a bummer when you get ready to put it all together then notice they aren't there.