Stator bad or CDI?

jjn56

Is flywheel key installed, or not damaged? Did you rest pick-up gap? :cheers:

Key is installed correct and is not damaged, marked the shaft and the flywheel to make sure it wasn't slipping and it is good. Pickup coil gap is right, tired it dead on spec and a little low and a little high and nothing. Thanks!

Edited by jjn56

Key is installed correct and is not damaged, marked the shaft and the flywheel to make sure it wasn't slipping and it is good. Pickup coil gap is right, tired it dead on spec and a little low and a little high and nothing. Thanks!

If you have spark, why do you think you have an electrical problem? An engine requires 3 things to run- spark, which you have; an air/fuel mixture, did you see if there is fuel in the tank and carbs; and compression, what is yours?

Double check all conections in ignition circut. Spark and good spark are two different things, is it blue or yellow spark. CDI is usually a go/no go part. JMHO, but considering many have problems with new ricky stators don't know why you would by used banghead . Might want to try good stock stator. If you fubarred stator taking flywheel off you obviously didn't use the correct puller, are you SURE you didn't fuck your flywheel? :cheers:

If you have spark, why do you think you have an electrical problem? An engine requires 3 things to run- spark, which you have; an air/fuel mixture, did you see if there is fuel in the tank and carbs; and compression, what is yours?

I think its electrical because the bike ran right before I took the flywheel and stator off. There is gas in the tank, spark is good and blue, plugs are wet when I kick it. I even put fuel directly into the cyclinder to see if it would fire off.

Double check all conections in ignition circut. Spark and good spark are two different things, is it blue or yellow spark. CDI is usually a go/no go part. JMHO, but considering many have problems with new ricky stators don't know why you would by used banghead . Might want to try good stock stator. If you fubarred stator taking flywheel off you obviously didn't use the correct puller, are you SURE you didn't fuck your flywheel? :cheers:

Checked em twice, Spark is good and blue. Bought used RM Stator not Ricky stator because of all the bad stuff I heard about Ricky Stators. Used = Cheaper than new is why I bought it and the guy said it worked. flywheel appear to be perfectly fine.

Checked em twice, Spark is good and blue. Bought used RM Stator not Ricky stator because of all the bad stuff I heard about Ricky Stators. Used = Cheaper than new is why I bought it and the guy said it worked. flywheel appear to be perfectly fine.

RM Stators are just as bad as Ricky Stator. I would recomend a used factory stator before I would use a new aftermarket one. The only aftermarket one that I have not heard bad things about is Electrosport/Moose. Does your flywheel rattle at all? If you have good blue spark and it is in time, then you don't have an electrical problem. Have you checked compression and your reeds? Also, have you tried new spark plugs?

Edited by bansheesandrider

check your timing plate again......try and readjust it to 0* timing and try and start your bike. if you do have good strong spark, and fuel (actually making it through your carbs to cylinders.....sure your fuels on? seen it before...) and oxygen is the other. if you have all those then you should fire.....put it back to 0*, turn your gas on and kick.....make sure your choke tube is still good and your carb floats aren't hung up....and if all else fails then try a SMALL bit of starting fluid.....

then report back.

If I have spark and my stator and pickup coil Ohm's are OK can my stator still be bad.

Little history, bike ran fine, decided to get an adjustable timing plate, installed it per instructions, wouldn't start, Thought I possibly may have damaged the stator while taking the flywheel off (bent a pole) so I bought a used stator off ebay (RM Stator 200w), Still won't start. Has fuel, has spark, still wont start at all, Ohm'ed the kill switch, and key switch also, both OK. Basically I'm to the point of do I buy another stator or a try a CDI next. Any help is appreciated.

dump some pre mix down the plug holes if it fires its carb

He said the plugs are wet. You might want to make sure your cases and/or pipes are not flooded with fuel. Take the plugs out, turn the bike upside down and roll the engine over with the kicker to see if fuel comes out. When the fuel quits coming out, put the bike right and let it sit for awhile with no plugs to air out. Then install new plugs and see if it will start.

RM Stators are just as bad as Ricky Stator. I would recomend a used factory stator before I would use a new aftermarket one. The only aftermarket one that I have not heard bad things about is Electrosport/Moose. Does your flywheel rattle at all? If you have good blue spark and it is in time, then you don't have an electrical problem. Have you checked compression and your reeds? Also, have you tried new spark plugs?

Flywheel does not rattle as far as I can tell. Tried new spark plugs. It ran fine 5 minutes before I changed out the plate so I figured my compression is fine. I have a gauge so I'll check it just to be sure. Have not looked at reeds yet, guess i'll tear into them next.

check your timing plate again......try and readjust it to 0* timing and try and start your bike. if you do have good strong spark, and fuel (actually making it through your carbs to cylinders.....sure your fuels on? seen it before...) and oxygen is the other. if you have all those then you should fire.....put it back to 0*, turn your gas on and kick.....make sure your choke tube is still good and your carb floats aren't hung up....and if all else fails then try a SMALL bit of starting fluid.....

then report back.

Adjusted back to zero and tried starter fluid, when I drain the bowls with the fuel on it flows like a river.