ethanol in fuel bad for shees?

hitman44

idk where the e85 thing came from but im not planning to run e85.....im just interested in what i will be getting myself into when i run 93 oct fuel from any of my local stations. I have yet to see a single station here in new york where i live that even has an e85 pump lol....i just want to know that with the right oil....at the right mixture...that running fuel with 5-10% ethanol in it isnt going to cause major harm lol....i hope this clears up any questions....sry guys

that article always makes me laugh.

i have the sister bike to that build. mine is a 421cc stocker, it has HIGH compression BUT i have it on straight alky now with 32mm lectrons. when i bought it i switched the 110 carbs out for alky, and reported it replaced the entire clutch and transmission etc., the efi is a really neato thingy and the guy was tired of buying race fuel and thats why the switch to e85,. the injection was done by kevin gigot in garden city KS same dude that does the ORIGINAL slingshot lockup.

with proper domes and correct build up 200-220 is not a bad comp for a rider motor on alky. e85/100 will take a lot of timing and comp JUST LIKE alky and RUN

some saab's with turbo actually have an alternative map and develop 40-50 more hp if they are given e85.

any fuel i use i try and use whatsin the can or in the tank right away i am a firm believer in fresh fuel. a purge is all you need if you are worried about alky eating rubber parts although i havent EVER had a problem with it and crank seals or other variuos things in the motor. i think a lot of that has to do with the amount of oil in the fuel.

and also like many young grasshoppers i was once very scared of alky and its 'effects" BUT now after playing with it and learning its quirks all i can say is the "secret" is setup set up set up!!! using the CORRECT carbs ( lectrons) makes life SOOOO much easier with the stuff i dont even have a bike right now thats on gas at all. i guess its a way for me to say screw iraq and those cocks and try and be more "green" ( yea right i just like the way it runs HA)

i have a air cooled golf cart and i am now contemplating putting a 40mm or 36mm alky lectron on it also. i will be driving it a lot during the summer and think the added cooling benifits will be substational.. hope to work on that one in the next month or so. its a 250cc 2 stroke harley cart ( par car)

I run 100LL avgas to stay away from ethanol affected pump gas.... avgas is nice because it will keep forver in a sealed container and its usually less than a dollar more than 93 octane pump gas.....

one of the problems I have with E10 (gasoline with 10% ethanol) is that the tanks at ALMOST ALL gas stations are not perfectly sealed..... they used to run with 1-4" of water in the bottom of them no problem because the pickups were cut 8-10" off the bottom of the tank..... now if there is ANY water in a tank (and its real easy to get) the fuel picks up the water and keeps it in suspension... so not only are you loosing power from adding 10% ethanol....but you are adding alot of water witch basically waters down the fuel..... water doesn't burn so you loose even more power....

How do I know all this??? My dad has been a fuel pump technician for almost 30years... we use this http://www.jmesales.com/item/27096/Kolor-Kut-Modified-Water-Finding-Paste.aspx (or this http://www.gasoila.com/products/items/allpurposewaterfindingpaste.html )

to detect water in gas tanks at service stations.... just for your info.... all of the service station fuel I have tested lately has come up yellow (at least 6% water)

I don't think that the methanol race fuel you buy has near this much water in it.....

Plus E10 has a shorter shelf life, is a harsh solvent and eats rubber..... just wait.... they are talking about going to E15 nationwide.....

so they do make oils that are designed to withstand the effects of ethanol....that was going to be my next question....i dont ride everyday or even every weekend for that matter..so how long do i have to let un used fuel sit in my tank and or carb before it goes bad to the point of needing to replace shit?

Yep. Klotz Supertechniplate, Klotz Benol, Klotz Original Techniplate, Maxima 927, and I am not to sure on this one. Redline.

Ethanol is way less harsh / corosive than Methanol as well.

Edited by jbooker82

ethanol is a lower btu fuel and has trace amts of water. like others have said dont let it sit long periods.

i try not to run it in my cars and trucks. you loose 10% give or take economy so for the extra savings you get at the pump you end up buying more.

i haul the shit and deliver gas with the shit in it. funny to listen to the people at the pumps bitch that their cars are not getting mileage as the dealership sticker says.

some co-ops or feed stations might care pure gas. caseys gas stations sell 87 reg non ethanol. depends on your location. the govt and their substaties (tax breaks) to this ethanol plants and gas stations the use ethanol are a crock of shit. its not an alternative fuel. just dilutes gas down.