got my 4mil HJR running....but is this normal?

blubyyou

Well I finally got to start my new 4mil HJR dune/play ported motor today for the first time :headbang: !!!! I just kicked it over, only took 2 kicks, and it fired right up....all is good. I didn't have any sprockets or chain on the bike yet...I just wanted to see if it would fire. Well when I let it idle it has a rattling noise coming from inside the case back around the sprocket in the tranny? It goes away as soon as I bring it slightly off idle. This has me puzzled as I followed the clymers manual during install. Is this just normal and nothing to be concerned with? I sure hope I don't have to pull it back apart after all that work lol. I have not put it in gear since I have no sprocked or chain on it....could it posibly be where it has no tension from the chain? Maybe I'm just paranoid. If it helps mods are: 4mil, HJR dune/play port, Noss head w/21 cc domes, Chariot reed cages, Chariot intake w/ crossover, PWK 35 A/S carbs, ProFlow w/ K&N open air box, modded shift star, pancake bearing, Pro Circuits......thats all the motor work.

If your bronze bushing inside the clutch basket is starting to get worn out, it will make a knocking/growling noise. I mistook this noise for a bad crank bearing one time. I wouldn't think the basket would make a knock/growl, but it did... I think these things make all kinds of odd-ball noises without any problems. I've got a buddy who's banshee makes some pretty nasty sounding noises and has gone through 2 total tear-down rebuilds and still makes the same noise. He's been beating the hell out of it for a few years now and the noise is still there and hasn't blown up yet.

Edited by BigRed350x

If your bronze bushing inside the clutch basket is starting to get worn out, it will make a knocking/growling noise. I mistook this noise for a bad crank bearing one time. I wouldn't think the basket would make a knock/growl, but it did... I think these things make all kinds of odd-ball noises without any problems. I've got a buddy who's banshee makes some pretty nasty sounding noises and has gone through 2 total tear-down rebuilds and still makes the same noise. He's been beating the hell out of it for a few years now and the noise is still there and hasn't blown up yet.

Thats crazy that you said that.We had a mystery knock in the bottom end of our 06 that i just fixed today,and the culprit was the damn clutch basket

Well much to my relief I wake up thismorning and see what everyone has posted!!!!! I feel soooo much better about it now! Thank you for all your replies and advise....I think I will replace the brass bushing when I replace my clutch basket in the next few week with a new/ aftermarket piece as the original was a little grooved when I put it in with my new clutch. Thank you all once again!!!! :cheers: