may build a 600 shee triple with sled motor have a few ?s

so i have a 1998 arctic cat 600 triple with 140hp and has like 600miles on new rebuilt top and bottom end i want to put this motor in a banshee frame and use it as a drag quad/hillclimb. so far here is my basic set up first get a frame off ebay for a few hundo then take the motor out of sled and put it in the frame (just settin it in not welded or anything yet) the take the jackshaft out of my parts sled and cut it to the right lenght with the 2ndary clutch on it and weld it with the stock jackshaft mounts to the frame then reforce it by welding another bar to the frame on both sides.then take the jackshaft out and put on the disk brake ETC... after all tat stuff i would put the mtor in the frame and get the belt for the sled and get it setup just like stok then with the belt on and have it on good i will weld the mounts to the frame and get it all mounted then i will mount the carbs and the oil injection tank up front by the front grab bars.and then make a swinger o fit the stock axel and get all tha done en put a chain on it and get the a-arms on and wheels and all that stuff. it seems it shouldnt be to hard the only thing is will it work or will the torque break the frame or bend it??? also im going to make the swinger +10" because this sled pulls wheelies up past 70 and maxxes out at like 105 and i dont want to have it flip on top of me! i wil also make a clutch cover that is completly covered exept the front and back and mesh over the holes to keep the clutches clean and cool. i wont have front brakes just a jackshaft brake. im going to use a shaved banshee seat and ful bore plastics also im going to use the banshee radiator for cooling all of this together will cost me about 600$ but will it be worth it? has anyone done this? im going to use the stock pipes but im going to have 1 out the right and 2 out the left and that will keep them away from the frame. have the foot pegs mounted farther back to keep my foot away from the clutch. the reason i want to do this is if i go get a banshee and do a lot of work to it it wont be reliable and never have 140hp but this is a reliable motor and runs like a monster. im going to have to make a plate to hold the coils,cdi,fuel pump.sence the motor powers a big headlght and tail light i can use a set of banshee headlights or mabe bigger ones and ill mount a smaller tail light instead of the one on the sled were it goes stock on a banshee.does anyone see any flaws in this plan? if so let me know what so i dont screw up. im going to use the sleds throttle setup its just like a quad anyway and im going to run stock suspension as it wont matter im only 14 and aint that heavy. also what kind of gearing should i do?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion... build yourself a good shee engine and you will be better off. :headbang: It sounds like you have thought this through but even with all the power in the world you also need the traction to use it and if you had enough traction you would just break stuff... theres a reason they run a 1 inch wide chain on a snowmobile and a stock banshee chain will snap like a twig in a tornado. Also i just dont see how you would have enough space to run a primary and secondary clutch with a belt in that engine compartment. The fabrication will deff. be a nightmare but it is your decision. If you do it, be sure to take lots of pics and keep us updated on the build but it seem s a bit costly to me. Either way just have fun and enjoy your monstrosity! Hopefully you wont regret it. :confused:

Just my opinion... build yourself a good shee engine and you will be better off. :headbang: It sounds like you have thought this through but even with all the power in the world you also need the traction to use it and if you had enough traction you would just break stuff... theres a reason they run a 1 inch wide chain on a snowmobile and a stock banshee chain will snap like a twig in a tornado. Also i just dont see how you would have enough space to run a primary and secondary clutch with a belt in that engine compartment. The fabrication will deff. be a nightmare but it is your decision. If you do it, be sure to take lots of pics and keep us updated on the build but it seem s a bit costly to me. Either way just have fun and enjoy your monstrosity! Hopefully you wont regret it. :confused:

well i have a 1988 banshee and tey realy arnt that fast if you look on you tube there everywere but with 4cylinder r1 or r6 engines i just happen to have a 600 and have no use fr it

a 520 banshee chain will not "snap like a twig"...

I can tell ya right now if that sled motor isn't heavily modded.. then that 140 is at the crank... not the end of the drive line.. A 4mil cub is VERY reliable.. and will beat 90% of the snowmo's

Its gonna take alot more time/money to get a snowmo motor to beat a small banshee engine in a drag race then what its worth.. Snowmo's are a great choice for bracket racing.. but for heads up.. its gonna take a TON of cash ontop of a proper chassis to be competitive in heads up.

I can tell ya right now if that sled motor isn't heavily modded.. then that 140 is at the crank... not the end of the drive line.. A 4mil cub is VERY reliable.. and will beat 90% of the snowmo's

Its gonna take alot more time/money to get a snowmo motor to beat a small banshee engine in a drag race then what its worth.. Snowmo's are a great choice for bracket racing.. but for heads up.. its gonna take a TON of cash ontop of a proper chassis to be competitive in heads up.

wnt be racing it just for riding around im almost tpted to pull out our pipe bender and build a no suspension drag chassis and make a frame made for it

and my uncle had it dynoed and it was like 138 at the track and yes it has some goodies on it

i think it would be a waste to do a snowmo transplant for just a "ride around" bike.. be easier just to send your cylinders off for a dune port.

well i decded to just build a chassis and use the a-arms off my parts sled and a rear axel off a old honda trx125 it may be narrow but is thick as hell should have the chassi doe by tomara and motor in by friday

i think it would be a waste to do a snowmo transplant for just a "ride around" bike.. be easier just to send your cylinders off for a dune port.

i dont know whats all done with my banshee i dont like it though i got it and rode it for a week and didnt like it i have to run AV gas in it 110octane the guy i got it from said i will blow it up if i dont and it has some weird head it says COOL HEAD and for porting i guess it was done by flotek well that is what the previous owner said

to each their own.. i wouldn't build it.. but.. I drag race and that setup would still loose to a small 4mil cub.. and a snowmo quad in the trails just isn't feaseable.. I race with a bunch of snowmo quads and they are making alot more power then that and still not able to beat the smaller banshee builds..

Just saying.. Good luck

to each their own.. i wouldn't build it.. but.. I drag race and that setup would still loose to a small 4mil cub.. and a snowmo quad in the trails just isn't feaseable.. I race with a bunch of snowmo quads and they are making alot more power then that and still not able to beat the smaller banshee builds..

Just saying.. Good luck

well its not about the speed its about i have a 600 triple quad. and i dont have anything else to do so when i get bored i build id rather build then be a crackhead

i built a lt 250 with a rotax 525 snow mobile engine.it was a nightmare,the clutches ended up sticking out past the foot peg on left side.and if you dont get the jack shaft perfect for belt tension it will eat 50 dollar belts all the time.than you run into cooling issues,the stock lt radiator would not keep it cool,and in most snowmobile engines the cooling passages are very small and restrictive.its almost like were designed for cold weather LOL.

i built a lt 250 with a rotax 525 snow mobile engine.it was a nightmare,the clutches ended up sticking out past the foot peg on left side.and if you dont get the jack shaft perfect for belt tension it will eat 50 dollar belts all the time.than you run into cooling issues,the stock lt radiator would not keep it cool,and in most snowmobile engines the cooling passages are very small and restrictive.its almost like were designed for cold weather LOL.

ya my belts are 90 a pop but i have a lot of em like 15 but after the jackshaft got setup did it work good and have good acceleration? i was just out looking at parts i have a 1985 trx125 that is all torn appart and i was thinking of extending the front end out a few feet andd then i would have a bit of room and have it a lay down style like a crotch rocket i got the axel and mounts and i was looking at them the sprocket is a 50 and i would put a 13 or 14 on the jackshaft but it shouldnt be hard once i get the motor in it

clean your glasses, open your brain, and get your notepad out.. I have built several snomo bike. I will not build it for you over the net but I will get you headed in right dirrection. Your cat jackshaft will work, its 1" eventually you will need to have it cut and keyed but you will have to figure that out on your own.The Jackshaft bearing mounts come from MFGSUPPLY, the shaft psrockets come from MCMASTERCARR they are ANSI 50 with 1/4 key. The rear sprocket can come from sprocket specialties. You can run a 520 rear with and ANSI 50 chain they are the same roll. You HAVE TO HAVE AN OFFSET TOOL FOR THIS TO WORK. you can use 10 or 12 centers from crank to shaft. 12" uses polaris 3211042 belt or similar, the 10 will use a Yamaha belt (I forget the number off my head, they have used it since 87 or earlie) Mount the shaftplates as far back in the chassis as you can, and MAKE SURE THEY ARE SQUARE TO THE AXLE!!! watch your chian clearnace to be sure its not going to hit anything. Then mount the motor so that it is square with BOTH and the proper distance apart 10/12... With these work, yep.. are they a pain in the ass yep... Heres a couple I have done

ArbonneEbay263.jpg

JWBIKEPICS002.jpg