what's next?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the problem is that trinity head, cause of their negative squish band. They have too low of an angle for whatever reason. If you stick w/that same trinity head and get tighter domes, you will need to find a machinist to re-machine the squish band, so the clearance is right and the angle is greater than piston crown angle. No offense, but it looks like that atv was never maintained at all in its life.

Unless you're going for the rat rod look, it's time to start spiffing it up. It has an effect on how you approach a problem , you will try to do a better job on repairs. If nothing else give it a good bath and Armoral the plastic.

Clean the carbs good , replace the float needle and seat if they don't stop leaking. Also check/set float level. :cheers:

like I said in the beginning of this thread...... I got the atv two months ago..... I'm a poor college kid.... I'm putting money into it a little at a time...... yes..... I'm going to clean it up....yes.... I'm going to fix the big tear in the seat.....and I want to replace the plastics with black ones.... but I'll probably just try to restore mine......... I have put every available dollar and minute I could give it so far.... but that's only two months worth of money and two months (minus 15hrs of college and 25hrs of work a week) worth of work.........I'm working on it like crazy now because I"m on spring break this week....

I pulled the right carb apart last night..... and I found:

Main- 300

pilot- 25

air bleed jet (IDK what its called)- 1.6

mixture screw- 1.5 turns

gonna check it real good and set the float level and stick it back together.... then sync the carburetors.....

should I worry about trying to smooth out that nasty port job??

what about the 20psi less compression on one cylinder??

1. FIRST find out why you have 20lbs difference/ fix.

Then

2. Mod your timing plate to +4 degrees------------------------------------------------------------------>Free

3. Shave 1mm off your piston crown adjacent to the exhaust (we can help)---------------->Free

4. Reduce your tire pressure to 2psi------------------------------------------------------------------------>Free

5. Clean up that nasty porting ONLY if you know what you're doing (we can help)-------->Free

6. Pull the airbox lid off and rejet----------------------------------------------------------------------------> Free(ish)

I guarantee once you do this you will destroy that raptor.

Great advice from everyone as always. Let me chime in here a little.

I know your on a tight budget. I'm sure we all can relate. Do yourself a favor though.

CLEAN YOUR BIKE !!!

Slow down on mods & scrub , scrub , scrub and when you thinks it's clean enough scrub some more.

Trust me you will be glad you did. Elbow grease is FREE and very satisfying.

I'll be honest when I saw your bike I thought you were damn lucky to get down the track.

Please save the Shee. We want to see pics.

Make us proud :cheers:

Forget about the Octan, have nothing to do whit the power.

Clean up the mess.

Clean the pipes inside out, clean and meassure cylinders and pistones .

Make choire eaverthing is inside specifications.

Use fresh tires.

Tune eaverything

Have fun

Gripp, weight and reactiontime is what makes the difference.

Susspension is an important factor:

Fore an Exm.

To much compression and your tires bounces on bumps and loses grip.

To much compression gives bad comfort equal to wear you out faster if you go Mx or enduro fore an example.

To fast rebound and your tires spinns beqause the spring cannot take advantage of the push from your bikes weight.

slow rebound= little preassure on the tires to the ground fore a longer time ( Dragrace )

fast rebound= more preassure on the tires to the ground but fore a shorter time. ( Motocross )

Boshboo

Edited by Boshboo