what's next?

OK.... things are getting worse.... thursday I lost to a 400ex banghead banghead :cry:

I think the problem is my carburetors are not synced right.... they open even all the way up... until the very end the left one opens further.... the bike runs real strong in the midrange but at WOT the left pipe gets alot hotter than the right one and it doesn't want to rev right.... so to race it I had to shift way early.....

..... I think some of it is the crappy throttle cable..... I'm ordering a twist-throttle TORS eliminator cable.... a flywheel puller...... and a carb sync tool...

any recomendations on brands???

in the mean time I may pull the head and cylinders and see why I'm down on compression and then re-ring or overbore as necessary

I've been working on cleaning up the plastics right now.....

P3190023.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sending my cylinders off to Herr Jugs Racing today........ Getting an overbore and new pistons........ AND A DUNE PORT....... Can't wait to get them back.....

I'm worrying about my crank.... should I pull it out and get it welded and trued???

Edited by americanmusc1e

sending my cylinders off to Herr Jugs Racing today........ Getting an overbore and new pistons........ AND A DUNE PORT....... Can't wait to get them back.....

I'm worrying about my crank.... should I pull it out and get it welded and trued???

yes,u should have sent that too.its insurance.u dont have to,but if u wanna take the chance of pulling the motor and possibly tearing up ur new jugs,thats up to you.um,u should not be losing to a 400ex if u almost beat a raptor!!!!!!like i said,u dont have to do it,but if ur worrying,like i did too,do it.actually,buy a 4mil longrod and have kev port to that lol... :clap:

Forget about the Octan, have nothing to do whit the power.

Clean up the mess.

Clean the pipes inside out, clean and meassure cylinders and pistones .

Make choire eaverthing is inside specifications.

Use fresh tires.

Tune eaverything

Have fun

Gripp, weight and reactiontime is what makes the difference.

Susspension is an important factor:

Fore an Exm.

To much compression and your tires bounces on bumps and loses grip.

To much compression gives bad comfort equal to wear you out faster if you go Mx or enduro fore an example.

To fast rebound and your tires spinns beqause the spring cannot take advantage of the push from your bikes weight.

slow rebound= little preassure on the tires to the ground fore a longer time ( Dragrace )

fast rebound= more preassure on the tires to the ground but fore a shorter time. ( Motocross )

Boshboo

what in the ass clown is this!!!!really,use FRESH tires lol.clean pipes INSIDE out lol.dont get me wrong u have a few good suggestions in there,but god damn son.also,spellcheck please.i know im kinda retarded but it took 5 mins to figure that out lol.not getting off subject but i couldnt let that go unpunished :rotflmao:

I've seen some very very fast 400ex's.

Anyway yeah, pull your crank and send it with your jugs. It's only like $75 for the true and weld. Cheap insurance.

While you've got it apart you can port match your cases (when you get it back of course) for a couple extra horse, and If you're somewhat mechanically inclined you can cut your transmission for much better shifting (you will be very glad you did this)

You can also mod your shift star, add some stiffer clutch springs, mod your timing plate while it's apart, all basically free mods that will help you put that extra power to the ground.

There is a DIY on the transmission mod in this forum. Just use the advanced search feature and search easy shift on titles.

what in the ass clown is this!!!!really,use FRESH tires lol.clean pipes INSIDE out lol.dont get me wrong u have a few good suggestions in there,but god damn son.also,spellcheck please.i know im kinda retarded but it took 5 mins to figure that out lol.not getting off subject but i couldnt let that go unpunished :rotflmao:

Hey RB did your porting huh? Are you happy with the results? He did a banshee for me a few years back and I was extremely impressed.

yes,u should have sent that too.its insurance.u dont have to,but if u wanna take the chance of pulling the motor and possibly tearing up ur new jugs,thats up to you.um,u should not be losing to a 400ex if u almost beat a raptor!!!!!!like i said,u dont have to do it,but if ur worrying,like i did too,do it.actually,buy a 4mil longrod and have kev port to that lol... :clap:

I lost to the raptor.... then i pulled both carbs out and cleaned them and tried to sync them but they were not right.......... then I lost to a 400ex.... a 400ex with bald tires..... and an 85CC dirt bike..... yeah....it was bad....

I think my throttle cable got stretched when I pulled the carbs off...... even with the left adjuster all the way out and the right adjuster all the way in... I could not get the slides to open right....... the left always opened faster and higher..... so in a quick fix I rigged the throttle cable... it worked great in the midrange, but it wouldn't let my right carb open all the way up

I lost to the raptor.... then i pulled both carbs out and cleaned them and tried to sync them but they were not right.......... then I lost to a 400ex.... a 400ex with bald tires..... and an 85CC dirt bike..... yeah....it was bad....

I think my throttle cable got stretched when I pulled the carbs off...... even with the left adjuster all the way out and the right adjuster all the way in... I could not get the slides to open right....... the left always opened faster and higher..... so in a quick fix I rigged the throttle cable... it worked great in the midrange, but it wouldn't let my right carb open all the way up

Yeah on my aftermarket clutch cable (assuming the stock is similar in design) there was the chance of the cable sliding in and out of the little tee that splits the cables from 2 to 1. If one of the cables slid out and got hung up that could be your problem.

Take your time and inspect the cable real good. I doubt it got stretched that bad, but I've been wrong before...

Hey RB did your porting huh? Are you happy with the results? He did a banshee for me a few years back and I was extremely impressed.

ill tell u what,ive seen clean port jobs on here from sponsors,and his looks every bit as good or better.that bitch rips.its like my kx 250 in all seriousness.when u start letting out the clutch,ur nutsack better be teabagging the gas cap,cuz that bitch is gonna come up,and dude,im 6'2" 285 lbs and it will stand up no problems,till 4th anyway.yes,i agree,for the money,im extremely impressed too.i think when my 96 blows tho,i do wanna go flotek.heard many good things on that side too.

pulled the engine out today... going to get a flywheel puller right now....

I hope to have the engine down and the crank out by monday so I can send it off.......

I'm really kicking myself now that I didnt' clean the motor up really good before I pulled the cylinders/head off..... now I'll have to wait until its all apart....

What other stuff should I do while I have the engine apart??

pulled the engine out today... going to get a flywheel puller right now....

I hope to have the engine down and the crank out by monday so I can send it off.......

I'm really kicking myself now that I didnt' clean the motor up really good before I pulled the cylinders/head off..... now I'll have to wait until its all apart....

What other stuff should I do while I have the engine apart??

Clean & scrub

It's a great time to completely restore the bike. Tear it down and be sure to use baggies to separate and label by sections as you go. Also a good time to paint or powdercoat your frame & suspension parts. When it goes back together it could look brand new. Another nice touch is to clean up your wiring harness ( excess wires) and wrap it with your choice of colored duct tape.

You have a great opportunity to really increase the current value of this bike if you TAKE YOUR TIME & do it right.

Good luck & take pictures as your go. :cheers:

split the cases today....

everything inside was stock...

the crank...

100_6208.jpg

the head...

100_6222.jpg

the mess....

100_6213.jpg

the clutch basket is kinda groooved...

100_6214.jpg

like I said..... I should have cleaned the motor before I took it apart....

100_6216.jpg

painted my exhaust....

100_6226.jpg

Edited by americanmusc1e

Do yourself a favor get the cases glass beaded,It makes it look n ew and the mating suirfaces get totally cleaned,its usually 25-35 dollars money well spent in the sceem of things,you need a basket,inner/outerhub,pancake bearing,shift shaft mod,max load on crank,and if your going crazy cut tranny.If you need me to spend any more of your money let me know