How hard does a clean up port cub run?

broncbob

There's not a lot of power to by found out of a 421 Cub with porting. You can probablly get more peak hp out of one, but it won't necessarily be faster at the track unless you have a super light rider/chassis. I dynoed one of my 421s and got 100 hp with a cleanup port with little tuning. Lots of tuning and with it drag ported (port timings probably not changed) and got 103 hp. Maybe could have got the 103 hp on the cleanup port with more tuning, but I was satisfied with it. The guy who ported it said it would take waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much time/work to get the max hp out if it. I wanted it reliable, and lasting as well.It may have 5 hp left on the table, but it's not cost/time efficient, and would lose some reliability. You know the saying - the first 80% takes 20% of the time, the last 20% takes 80% of the time. JMO.

421 cub with no porting runs damn good from what i have seen.

But at the same time, i think my cub with the little bit of drag porting on it runs damn good too.

Mine ran high 4teens on methanol in stock uncut chassis with 250lb rider in 300'

What are you going to do with it? Strictly drag race it, if so and you are looking for every little ounce of hp, port it. Otherwise run it like it is. They run great both ways.

I have also done alot of research on this topic. I read through lots of posts and talked to many of the site sponsers. What I come up with is ya, the cub runs extremely hard with just a cleanup. All builders would drag port it but only some highly recommend it as a worthwhile gain for the price and work. The ones that were more for it, I felt maby had more R and D time with it and were more happy with the outcome. Don't get me wrong, all these guys know what they're doing and make some mean motors, they all just do it a little different. My verdict is a "fully blue printed comp drag ported" cub, will have significent gains over just a cleanup, when both are properly tuned and setup equal.

There's not a lot of power to by found out of a 421 Cub with porting. You can probablly get more peak hp out of one, but it won't necessarily be faster at the track unless you have a super light rider/chassis. I dynoed one of my 421s and got 100 hp with a cleanup port with little tuning. Lots of tuning and with it drag ported (port timings probably not changed) and got 103 hp. Maybe could have got the 103 hp on the cleanup port with more tuning, but I was satisfied with it. The guy who ported it said it would take waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too much time/work to get the max hp out if it. I wanted it reliable, and lasting as well.It may have 5 hp left on the table, but it's not cost/time efficient, and would lose some reliability. You know the saying - the first 80% takes 20% of the time, the last 20% takes 80% of the time. JMO.

I guess that backs up the fact that the Cub is cast as a drag port out of the box.