Need some advise! Please help!

Hey guys-

I went out to ride today after the TORS removal - bike ran great, then...

The bike died and I had no spark. Checked the obvious things then it started but backfired. I took of the stator side cover and found my woodruff key gone!

Question is (see pictures). Do I need a new magneto assembly and stator too? It gound grooves in it.

post-34799-0-74716100-1299639538_thumb.jpg

Hey guys-

I went out to ride today after the TORS removal - bike ran great, then...

The bike died and I had no spark. Checked the obvious things then it started but backfired. I took of the stator side cover and found my woodruff key gone!

Question is (see pictures). Do I need a new magneto assembly and stator too? It gound grooves in it.

This is the stator...

post-34799-0-82384800-1299639664_thumb.jpg

usually happens from an improperly tightened flywheel nut.

before you put it back together, take fine emery cloth and clean off the grooves from the end of the crank and also the inside of the flywheel.

I usually hit mine with an impact and some red locktite.

If it were mine, I would get another flywheel that's not all tore up, and then use valve lapping compound to lap in the taper on the crank. The fit of the taper is crucial to insuring that the flywheel doesn't come off. This thread explains it.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=122256

As for the stator, if the wires aren't trashed, I would set the pickup gap, and run it. If it doesn't run or doesn't run lights, then buy another stator.

Edited by Starwriter

If it were mine, I would get another flywheel that's not all tore up, and then use valve lapping compound to lap in the taper on the crank. The fit of the taper is crucial to insuring that the flywheel doesn't come off. This thread explains it.

http://bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=122256

As for the stator, if the wires aren't trashed, I would set the pickup gap, and run it. If it doesn't run or doesn't run lights, then buy another stator.

OK, so I assume that you do this before putting on the key, correct?

Thx

Chances are the flywheel is still good. As said before you probably didnt tighten the flywheel down enough, that nut calls for 62ftlbs. What most guys do is just tighten with an impact gun and I use blue loctite not red. The reason I use blue loctite over red is that red you almost always have to heat it up to loosen it, which could damage the flywheel or stator if it gets hot enough IMO. The valve lapping compound is a great idea or use emory cloth. And yes clean up shaft and inside of flywheel where it slides on the shaft before assembly. If the broken key didnt score nothing up just bolt it back together and go.

Chances are the flywheel is still good. As said before you probably didnt tighten the flywheel down enough, that nut calls for 62ftlbs. What most guys do is just tighten with an impact gun and I use blue loctite not red. The reason I use blue loctite over red is that red you almost always have to heat it up to loosen it, which could damage the flywheel or stator if it gets hot enough IMO. The valve lapping compound is a great idea or use emory cloth. And yes clean up shaft and inside of flywheel where it slides on the shaft before assembly. If the broken key didnt score nothing up just bolt it back together and go.

Excellent, thank you! :cheers: