gearing ?

DannysZ28

If im running 300 to 400 foot drags, would it be better to run a higher gear and start in first or lower and start in second. Im running a 4miil 12 port passion motor. I just put a dunable 1-5 n down tranny in it and was wondering what would be better?

I know this sounds stupid but on a dunable tranny if im not racing, should i use the clutch upshifting when riding normal?

I have always had the best luck gearing the bike to leave in 2nd and try and have it topped out at the end of the track in 5th.....

with an over ride you dont ever have to use the clutch to upshift, but make sure you pull the clutch in before you downshift and dont use the trans to slow the bike down or you will bend shift forks.

I am a leave in 2nd kinda person myself, but others will say they get a higher mph leaving in 1st ending up in 4th with taller gearing like 17-41ish.

Im running 20" duro hookups most of the time but if someone wants to race that might be hard to beat i will throw my 22"prowedges on.

Since i do trail ride some i was also thinking of running like a 16-41 and leave in first and not lose that much top speed since i dont have 6th gear.

A 14-41 should be about the same as 15-44 shouldnt it?

Edited by DannysZ28

Yes 15/44 and 14/41 is the same gear ratio. I like to start in 2nd as well but you can use a bit lower gear if you want depending on traction. With a higher rpm pipe/port combo even 14/44 will run over 75mph which may be plenty. Just see what it will pull and consistently leave in 2nd. .