Stiffer Rear Shock...Raptor 660r? Maybe?

Thack82

Guys I need some input on this. I bought My Banshee Last May with trail riding in mind, to my dismay I found the stock Banshee isn't to good for that. Nine moths later and every spare penny I could get and invest I''ve built a XC Banshee thats perfect for me.

I've got the front done the guys at Full Flight set me up with +3+1 Silver Vain a arms for YFZ Shocks equipped with 12 point adjustable Chromoly Heims, to go along with my 2010 YFZ-450R shocks, spindles, hubs, brakes, brake lines, steering stem (and Flag). The ride and handling is unbelievable. If you closed your eyes and put ear plugs in you would think you were riding a 2010 YFZ-450R with a 75 horse power engine.

Now I'm messing with the rear I'm replacing all the bearings with a ALL BALL'S Bearing kit, and adding a new Forged Forward Power-Sports +1+1 Rear Axle.

What I need help with is the rear shock; its to soft, I'm 6'2" and I weigh 225 pounds and I don't like the way the bike squats, It wouldn't be so noticeable but the front end set a little higher than stock with the YFZ Shocks. I've got it tightened up all the way, and its still not enough. I just need a little more. Here are the two options I'm considering.

1. Do they make a piggy back shock for the rear? I would like to keep the rear shock if possible because it's silver and it matches my YFZ Shocks, and I don't want to spend a tone of money on an aftermarket shock.

2. Will a Raptor 660R shock work? My buddy has a Raptor and I sat on it and it felt perfect. I should be able to pick one of these up fairly cheap off eBay.

Any input, Idea's, or comments would be a great help. As soon as my Graphic guy gets done with my graphics which should be any day now. I'm going to post pictures, and let you guys check it out. I've poured my hart and soul into this Banshee.

Thanks,

Jim :confused:

• 7 months later...

Only a rear shock from a 2001 raptor will work, it is the only year that has a remote resevoir. Every year after that has a piggyback rear shock that gets in the way of the upper shock mount on the banshee. It's about an inch taller than the banshee rear, I ran one that was rebuilt by works with no problem on a +4 swingarm. I recently switched over to a stock rebuilt/resprung rear shock, sits about the same height as it did with the raptor shock. In my opinion just have your stock shock rebuilt, resprung, and valved for your weight and riding style.

Ive been "digging" around with this too as I'm about the same height but pushing 240 or more. The only problem I have with mine is my PRM swingarm skid that has the lower link protection When I try to climb rutted out hills with any momentum at all the suspension compresses and the V-shaped plate that protects the lower link now is angled quite a bit more parallel to the ground. It then proceeds to act like some kind of shovel or Earth-moving machine ripping up the dirt, bogging me down, and thus killing every last bit of momentum I had putting me in a really bad situation. Enough small talk...

TTT for anyone else with more info!

Oh and stock swingarm too.

Edited by bigblockbanshee

I've got a Works rebuilt/revalved rear shock with a heavy spring. I'm 6' and 225lbs. It was set up for a +4 swingarm and held me up fine. Its got a neon red / pinkish looking spring on it though so no one wants to buy it. If you're interested shoot me a PM. You could always throw a shock cover on it. Its in good shape.