Canon EOS Digital Shooting Questions

buttercup79

I know some of you guys use Canon EOS Digital camera's for some of your pictures... Question is what settings do you use when taking pictures? What lens do you use as well? I have a lens with IS that I havent used yet for taking shee pics, but want to see what best settings are.

Manual modes? Apeture settings, etc? Any suggestions appreciated! I have a Canon and when shee is going by at - oh 70 mph- kinda hard to get a good pic.

Thanks!! :)

I know some of you guys use Canon EOS Digital camera's for some of your pictures... Question is what settings do you use when taking pictures? What lens do you use as well? I have a lens with IS that I havent used yet for taking shee pics, but want to see what best settings are.

Manual modes? Apeture settings, etc? Any suggestions appreciated! I have a Canon and when shee is going by at - oh 70 mph- kinda hard to get a good pic.

I got the t2i a couple months ago, and I love it. I've got a few different lenses. The 18-55mm that came with it, a 28-105mm Canon Ultrasonic that is my every day lens, and a 100-300mm Canon Ultrasonic telephoto.

For 90% of my shots, I use everything on Auto.

For Macro, I use the 18-55 lens with a UV filter, on "P". No flash, and I use a fluorescent light box if no natural sunlight is available.

I don't mess with the aperture or anything like that, because frankly I don't know what the hell 90% of it is. If you want highspeed shots, you need to adjust your shutter speed.

I have a Canon and when shee is going by at - oh 70 mph- kinda hard to get a good pic.

Nice camera for sure, I have a Nikon D90. You can get good results by panning, ie. moving the camera along with the subject in a horizontal motion.

Shutter speed about 1/80

it really takes playing around with the camera to get things how you want. personally i love shooting in full manual mode. it allows me to get the pics to show how i want them. i have a circular polarizer on my lense and primarily use the 18-55mm that came with the camera. i just got a neutral density filter that i cannot wait to mess around with.

basically you have shutter speed( the 1/8, 1/200 etc) this will affect the amount of time is used to take the picture and also affects the darkness of the pic. a shorter shutter speed such as 1/200 might be too dark while a 1/6 speed will be fine.

aperture can be used to affect darkness as well i believe. i havent fully grasped the concept of it other than that. and it can be adjusted to change the depth of field.

ISO is based on a sensor on a digital camera i believe not sure but i know that it will affect how light or dark a pic is. an iso of 100 will have great clarity but will need longer shutter speeds depending on the environment. high light levels are best for this level. while an iso of 1600 lets a lot of light in and can have a lot shorter shutter speeds. a drawback to this is that the picture will be affected by "noise" and may appear grainy.

id suggest doing a google search on those to get a better understanding of them and you might even be able to find something on taking pics of things in motion.

Thanks guys for answering my question - I really appreciate it. I have had this damn thing for 4 years now and still learn something new about it everytime I turn it on. I can take really good pictures one day and a month later forget how I did that... LOL Must be a blonde thing.

I will play with the ISO settings as I think that is the main issue I have with "noise" causing blurry images. Sounds like I have the right lens for the job, just need to work on it a little more. Guess that is with anything.

Thanks again for the responses.... Happy New Year! :D

Thanks guys for answering my question - I really appreciate it. I have had this damn thing for 4 years now and still learn something new about it everytime I turn it on. I can take really good pictures one day and a month later forget how I did that... LOL Must be a blonde thing.

I will play with the ISO settings as I think that is the main issue I have with "noise" causing blurry images. Sounds like I have the right lens for the job, just need to work on it a little more. Guess that is with anything.

Thanks again for the responses.... Happy New Year! :D

im not sure if the iso would contribute to them bein blurry, that sounds more of needing a faster shutter speed. iso will make it grainy.

blurryness might also be contributed to moving the camera, i know my telephoto lense doesnt have a stabilizer and any little movement in the camera causes blurry pics. if thats the cause try shooting from a tripod if you dont already.

this pic has an iso of 400 and looks fairly good.

58760_436313194270_786409270_4838827_7480999_n.jpg

this pic was taken on a really sunny day and has an iso of 200. it looks a bit clearer than the one above.

60214_439808189270_786409270_4909992_8148808_n.jpg

this one was taken in the evening with low light, its iso is 1600 and there is a ton of grain to it.

39232_424709409270_786409270_4584311_5964487_n.jpg

i generally run all my pics through adobe lightroom and then add my "watermark" in photoshop.

• 1 month later...

this pic was taken on a really sunny day and has an iso of 200. it looks a bit clearer than the one above.

60214_439808189270_786409270_4909992_8148808_n.jpg

And a wide aperature. I love how shotting with the lens wide open blurs the background.

Shooting with the aperature wide open (f1.4 to 3.5 depending on your lenses) allows more light in so you can use a faster shutter speed or a lower ISO. It also cause a shallow depth of field (blured back ground)

Around F11 is a good who cares shot. good for genera purpose.

F22 is used for taling pictures with a deep depth of field. Stuff in the foreground, and background in focus. Generally you focus 1/3 of the way in the photo.

Your camera has a AV and TV mode. The AV is aperature priority. It allows you to set the aperature and the camera will automaticaly set the ISO and Shutter Speed.

TV mode is shutter speed priority. You pick the shutter speed and it pics the Aperature and ISO. They are kind of like full auto mode only with a little control.

I have a Canon 60D with the kit 18--135mm IS lens and a 70-300mm IS USM lens. The L lenses that have a 2.8 aperature would be sweet but I cant spend $2,500 on a lens. I would like to get the Sigma 8-17mm Ultra Wide Angle lense. It is around 800 bucks.

Get "Understanding Exposure" 3rd edition. It really explains the camera settings and how to take pictures. For any given picutre there is about 4-6 combos of Aperature, Shutter Speed, and Iso to get a good picture. The different combos will affect how the picture looks.

Creative Shutter Speed is also another good one. It talks about how to imply motion, freeze motion, or give a false sence of motion in your pictures.

Edited by jbooker82

And a wide aperature. I love how shotting with the lens wide open blurs the background.

Shooting with the aperature wide open (f1.4 to 3.5 depending on your lenses) allows more light in so you can use a faster shutter speed or a lower ISO. It also cause a shallow depth of field (blured back ground)

F22 is used for taling pictures with a deep depth of field. Stuff in the foreground, and background in focus. Generally you focus 1/3 of the way in the photo.

Your camera has a AV and TV mode. The AV is aperature priority. It allows you to set the aperature and the camera will automaticaly set the ISO and Shutter Speed.

TV mode is shutter speed priority. You pick the shutter speed and it pics the Aperature and ISO. They are kind of like full auto mode only with a little control.

I have a Canon 60D with the kit 18--135mm IS lens and a 70-300mm IS USM lens. The L lenses that have a 2.8 aperature would be sweet but I cant spend $2,500 on a lens. I would like to get the Sigma 8-17mm Ultra Wide Angle lense. It is around 800 bucks.

Get "Understanding Exposure" 3rd edition. It really explains the camera settings and how to take pictures. For any given picutre there is about 4-6 combos of Aperature, Shutter Speed, and Iso to get a good picture. The different combos will affect how the picture looks.

Creative Shutter Speed is also another good one. It talks about how to imply motion, freeze motion, or give a false sence of motion in your pictures.

Thank you Thank you Thank you for the help! I really appreciate the info and will check out the book. Thanks again :)

this is some very good additional information. i have been taking a class on this stuff. and for the OP i recommend turning on the histogram on the camera to see if your pics are getting a correct exposure or are under or overexposed. its become very helpful to me in my shooting. that is if you dont already have the histogram on.

I would like to try some HDR photography. It is when you take a series of under and over exposures. A computer program layers the photos on top of each other. Picking out the details in each one. You have to have a tripod because you need the pics to be exactly the same. Most cameras you can set to automaticly fire of a -1 stop under exposure, proper exposure, and a +1 stop over exposure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

800px-New_York_City_at_night_HDR_edit1.jpg

Edited by jbooker82