Can't find chassis fluid fill point. Help!

durrel

Hey guys, long time lurker but I haven't had much to post until today, I thought I knew these quads atleast a little, but I took my footpeg off this evening to spraypaint it and all of my frame fluid came pouring out of the foot peg bolt holes as soon as I removed them. I guess I should have done a little research before I got into an advanced project. But non the less, I looked EVERYWHERE, I do mean everywhere, pulled the hood and all the plastics off, I can't find the fill hole! I'm sure I am simply overlooking it but I figured I'd post on here before I tear apart my entire bike! Also, the fluid was thin like coolant but clear, what type of fluid was it, I have some atf left from my clutch job can I just use that?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Darrell

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure it wasn't headlight fluid that your leaking? or how about the flux-capiciter fluid? :rotflmao:

all seriousness though......are you serious? there isn't such a thing as frame fluid. if clear liquid as thin as coolant came out......well then buddy....you have either a crack in the frame or a loose bolt and your quad was sitting in some serious water. Yep....that would be WATER that was inside your frame....shouldn't be in there.

Are you sure it wasn't headlight fluid that your leaking? or how about the flux-capiciter fluid? :rotflmao:

all seriousness though......are you serious? there isn't such a thing as frame fluid. if clear liquid as thin as coolant came out......well then buddy....you have either a crack in the frame or a loose bolt and your quad was sitting in some serious water. Yep....that would be WATER that was inside your frame....shouldn't be in there.

WATER in the frame? I know water shouldn't be in there, what type of oil, etc is it originally though? It had a brown-ish color at first, so I assume thats the heavier oil or whatever first coming out and that the excess water.

This is really confusing and I want to get this fixed so i can ride this weekend.

thanks for at least looking at it, even if you aren't being serious.

okay....now im starting to think you are serious. Sorry darrell.....thought you were joking about the frame fluid thing. There is NO fluid that is supposed to be inside your frame at all. The brown color you saw was no doubt water that was either slightly dirty or discolored do to starting to rust the inside of your frame tubes.

There are only 2 fluids that should be in your banshee....gas/oil fuel mix and crankcase fluid (gear oil or atf type f depending on what you use)

Did you bike sit underwater or in a water pit part-way up the frame at all while you have owned it?

I did sunk the shit out of it last week riding when we had to cross a river to get home. My buddies 4x4 made it and i tried and failed and had to be towed out. The engine stalled too, but thats a different concern that I have fixed. I am just concerned because its getting really cold out and if this frame is full of water can't it freeze? I want to add some sort of oil to the inside so it can't freeze if more water somehow gets in there.

This is really baffling and thank you for trying to help me, I love this banshee and don't want it to get ruined due to improper chassis lube.

Also, you forgot Coolant on that list of fluids :P

thanks, darrell

Do not, I repeat DO NOT ride it until you get your chasis filled up with fluids. If you ride it without them you will be likely to have catastrophic frame failure. The fill hole is on the bottom of the frame. To fill it up, you will need to flip it upside down and be sure to top it off. In all seriousness though, there is no frame fluid. Maybe you are mistaking frame fluid for an oil fill that is on some of the dirtbikes, which is filled through a hole in the frame. This is not the case for a banshee. No offense but if you feel that taking a foot peg off to paint it is an advanced project, then you may not want to work on your fourwheeler.

i just died a little.... if i was you i would fill it with brake fluid. maybe a 50/50 blend of brake fluid and battery acid. should hold up good. also from the factory there was no fill hole. you are suppose to hold your finger over the hole and reinstall a bolt when the peg is off. drill a 1/4 npt thread hole in the top and buy a pipe plug. don't mind these guys they know oil is suppose to be in there.....

i would drill holes in your frame to get the fluid out. my frame got water in the tubes when i jumped it into a lake with my shee any how when winter came i jumped the quad about 5ft of air, when i landed it was me sitting on the seat holding my handle bars and ALL AROUND ME were banshee frame tubes and parts scattered around me. the frame froze solid and it basically blew up (the frame that is) i was in shock and still am because i just typed all that for a laugh at your expense, seriously you will be fine, if your worried about it tip the quad a little to ease the draining of water, spray some wd-40 , put your pegs on and ride you will be fine. spend some time on this site its a wealth of knowledge. happy riding

Half these guys are clowns dont listen to them. AK has the right idea, tip the bike on its side and fill the frame back through the peg hole that it drained out of. That is the way the frame was designed. Drain on the wheels tip it back on its side to fill. Then put it back down on all four wheels, pull off the other foot peg and drain that side. Then tip the bike back up on its side and fill that side up. You might need to recheck the level on the first side after doing the second. Should be good to go from there. WD40 is ok, but i prefer ATF the added viscosity helps reduce bump steer.